lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default I'm Claritan Clear about my upgrade

I've been going local for my upgrade, using the knowledge from the sight and supporting the local 'mom and pop' business... After a rescent call to Scottyb, I see things more clearly, the Alltrax 400 amp can be set to handle from 36v to 48v, no need to reprogram.. woohoo.. Johnnyb posted a list of batteries and their amp hours, not too many 8v with stellar marks, longevity. I'll be getting the DPI from Scotty when the 08's die, but, about the batteries, it's been asked b4, and my adventures are few and short, 6/8's or 8/6's... the 6v, t105's, 225 ah at the 20 hr rating, 8.6 kWh at 36v... but the t890's, 190 ah at the 20 hr rating, 9.7 kWh at 48v, looking at 6 batteries vs. 6 batteries, I need another Claitan... according to the chart, which column do i look at for longevity...?
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I'm Claritan Clear about my upgrade

6/8v will suit your use. You will get a little longer than stock run time with the improved performance of 48v. Buy high amp hour batteries whether its 6 or 8v for the best performance & the longest service life
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The kWh columns can be used to estimate both relative run-time and battery lifespan.

The bigger the kWh number the longer the run-time and the longer the batteries will last, but you have to stay in the same battery pack voltage column to compare apples to apples.

With no changes are made to the cart except pack voltage, a 36V pack made of T-105 batteries (8.6kWh) is roughly equal in run-time and battery lifespan to a 48V pack made of T-875 batteries (8.7kWH), if the cart is driven in the same manner over the same terrain at both voltages. Building the 48V pack with T-890 or CR-190 batteries (9.7kWH) will give you more run-time and battery lifespan than the standard 36V battery pack.

The second chart shows relative lifespan based on T-105 batteries. (It also show relative run-time.)
67.5AH is the number of Amp-Hours used to take a T-105 battery down to 70% SoC. With a 48V pack, that would be roughly 3.4kWh of energy used.

As you see, with very few exceptions, any 8X6V battery pack with outlast any 6X8V battery pack.

Of course the lifespans shown are theoretical, and there are tons of variable, so YMMV.

Like Scotty says, get the highest Amp-hour batteries for best performance and battery longevity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Various Battery Packs - kWh.JPG (90.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery lifespan comparisons.JPG (159.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So, I guess I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, wether I do 6v or 8v, both will do me just fine, in addition, Johnnie, adding the 7th 6v, it'll add a little run time along with more torque?... and if I may inquire, is there a tray of some kind that I can add a 12v in the bagwell?? Tie downs and all...
I hate to keep asking question after question, but until it feels good in my gut to buy, I'm more or less reassuring myself that one I'm not taking too small a step just to upgrade again...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is better to ask questions before make decisions than going through the "If I'd only did it this or that" afterwards.

The trick is figuring out what you what to end up with and building towards that goal. If you cannot decide exactly what you want the end product to be, choose components that allow some flexibility for later changes.

I went with 2Ga cables because I was pretty sure I needed new cables, I'm an efficiency nut and wasn't sure how big of a controller I would eventually install.
(4Ga is sufficient for controllers below 500A)

I finally went with a DCX400(PDS) since I have no need to lift cart or use taller tires, but those option are still open to me at a later date.
I went with a Super-Duty solenoid (400A continuous/1000A peak) because it operates from 36V to 48V and I wasn't sure what voltage pack I was going to build.
My goal is getting SWMBO and me and needed stuff to and from our favorite shooting range, which is a 28 mile round trip, without going below 60% SoC.
Torque and Speed are secondary considerations, but I will have plenty of both.

I probably could have came close to my goal with a 36V pack of T-145 (260AH) batteries, but I managed to get 7 Exide GC-145 (245) batteries for less money than the 6 Trojan batteries and have more breathing room.

If the 42V pack doesn't give me the range I need, I still have the option of going to a 8x6V 48V pack.

-------------
As for adding a 7th 6V battery. It will give you about 16.7% more Run-Time, but I'm not sure how much more Speed and Torque, but I'd guess something like 10%.

----------
As for increased torque. It depends on the Amps going through the motor, which is determined by the controller if your are staying at the same voltage, but when the voltage is different, the equation changes since it takes few amps at a higher voltage to transfer the same amount of energy.

With a 400A controller being fed by a 36V battery pack, you can launch about 15.2kW of electrical energy at the motor, or about 17.7kW with a 42V pack and about 20.3kW with a 48V pack. How exactly that translates to torque how much the torque increase, I'm not sure, but there is an increase.

-------------
I don't have any electrical accessories, but if I decide to add any, I'll stuff and small deep cycle 12V battery in the space in front of the controller, or maybe a DC-DC converter if I can find on that will run on 42V.

------------

I've never looked into putting batteries in the bagwell because I use it for cargo, but I've read about guys using Tupperware boxes and universal battery hold downs from auto parts store.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

One can always rely on the number cruncher, my batteries should last this year and maybe, cross the fingers, thru the next. I will decide on 6 or 8 batteries down the road and the bagwell will or wont get utilized. the deepcell 12 will be on the driver side this summer to power the lights and radio/ipod player.I'm sorta hoping that just the controller and cables will make a big enough increase that I end up staying with the 36v set up, just higher batteries down the given chart, t-125's or t-145's....time will tell

Ok, I'm good with most, lmfao, lol, ttfn, wtf..... but, what was 'YMMV' and 'SWMBO'.....
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just learned the SWMBO and I was stumped on th YMMV
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I've always known HWHL--- happy wife happy life, and it's funny how, even thou I feel I wear the pants, she can usually get me out of them... wait, that didn't sound right.
anyhow, I've gotten the go-ahead on the upgrades, but to not get too radical. Another thought came up, gear change, worth it or not..? I figure the increase will kill my torque, but are there subtle gear changes, what is stock and is there a gear close to it???
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cableguy, I noticed your top, what inch top is it 80, or 88...? I've been told the 88 extends beyond the footpad of the back seat..?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO