lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO "Hot brake Drum" and slowed speed... NEED HELP!!!

My wife came back from riding the cart last night and said it was making a squeeking/rubbing noise when slowing down and turning corners. I went out and found that the drivers side wheel was "HOT". So I lifted it up and took the wheel off, and before I removed the hub I hit the gas. Now both wheels were off the ground and I noticed that both wheels started moving at the same time and the differential sounded louder than normal. I know that the side with the least resistance should only be moving??? At a slower speed the side without wheel would stop first and somtimes not spin.

So I figured the brake shoes were dragging on the hub. I tried spinning the hub, but it would turn the entire shaft and not turn freely around the brake pads. I have removed the pads (NOTE: I replaced these pads 1 month ago with new ones, and they stop great). It was also nearly impossible to remove the outer part of the hub from the wheel.I could get the "star nut" to rotate. Once i got it off I noticed only the back pad moving a little when pressing brake pedal. The srew with the groove in it ( where the front brake pad lower corner fits into) was almost adjusted all the way in. Is this ok?

Now I may have been better off loosening the brake cable in order to release the pad tension in the hub. That being said do you think I have to much tension on the brake cable? I did screw with it when I originally installed the brakes and could not get it to stop. (did not read manual first, what a DA).

Should I adjust the brake cable tension all the way out then re-install brake shoes and hub then tighten enough to hear a little drag then drive cart to adjust the shoes correctly?

Sorry for so much description.... Thanks for any help.
BCR840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO "Hot brake Drum" and slowed speed... NEED HELP!!!

Dang!!! forgot to mention... I also have noticed the cart is ALOT slower going up hills and down hills. I adjust my DCX 500 for less braking on down hills and it didnt help much. Which still leads me to think it was beacause both shafts were trying to turn...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Make sure the cable is not pulling the shoes at rest, then adjust the shoes so they just barely brush the drum someplace in it's rotation. You should be able to rotate the drums easily by hand. The peddle should move an inch before the brakes engage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok. I will try it this evening. I have a feeling I adjusted the cable to tight and forgot to go back and adjust it . I had a hard time getting that hub on when I replaced the shoes last time. Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Setting your controller for less regen braking would not cause your drum to get hot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO