lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default voltage reducer vs. extra 12v battery.. pros/cons

Recently visited a local car audio shop to inquire on an auto start for my truck, conversation quickly turned to golf carts and stereos as they had one in the back room I caught a glimpse of.... Now the pros and cons from everyone about the added battery vs. the just drawing from all the batteries vs. the weight difference between a converter vs. another battery and or the one time purchase of a converter vs. buying batteries every so many years and lastly, needing a 12 battery charger to charge the extra battery.....
Feed back would be appreciated and if the converter prevails as the prodominate choice, where and what kind of converter, does ScottyB have one or am I subject to Amazon/Ebay/etc??????
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: voltage reducer vs. extra 12v battery.. pros/cons

I went with a voltage reducer for the pro of not having the added weight of a battery and having to buy another charger and maintaining it. I only run 2 sets of lights ( headlight and led ) and a small ipod amp that barely gets used
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One advantage to an auxiliary battery is being able to keep the stereo memory wire connected. You can use a relay to turn battery power off with the key switch.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I went with a seperate battery so I did not have to worry about draining my battery pack and I could always get home if the stereo battery died. Your memory on the stereo is always there. I bought an onboard charger from Harbor Freight for about 10 dollars and it recharges the 12 volt battery in the same time as my pack. I was not worried about the weight because I already run 8 6v batteries in a limo golf cart so theirs already a lot of weight.
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as the memory goes, just like my projector screen, it's manual and having to tune in a station when I ride every time isn't that big a deal.... and when wiring the reducer, isn't it a constant source of power that has the lights and radio hooked to it???
Just saying, from the 36/48 B+/B- lead, goes to the converter, from the converter to a fuse block. Can I run the positive from the converter to the key switch and back to the fuse block and just take the constant from the radio and connect to the converted 12v b4 the switch??? this way, the radio turns off like in a car when the key is turned off yet keeps it's memory, and battery drain is at a minimal cuz the radio is off... Am I over thinking this... what's a good converter, amp size and all???
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I went with a seperate 12volt battery, its a rv/marine deep cycle sealed battery so no need to water it. I have a 2000 DS CC and made room under the seat, started by moving the center 2 batteries forward , then put in a new battery in back of them. got a cheap waterproof battery tender that i ran out by my regular chager connection. tie warpped the tender to the top of my regular charger and plug them both in at the same time . truly i dont think adding 50 to 60 lbs of new battery is going to make a difference with my 240+ butt already on it .

i rather have no lights cause the radio was on to long then a cart that dont move
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

But how long is the life of a deep ceel 12v???? I like the idea and would rather kill the radio battery and still be able to get home.... but isn't the draw from a converter on a 48v pack so minimal it's almost non existant??? I know it does draw some but.....
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i got my stock lights , leds , and mp3 player hooked up to it and havent have it run down on me yet at night.

this is what i got going just c/p this link
Code:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?navAction=
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
i got my stock lights , leds , and mp3 player hooked up to it and havent have it run down on me yet at night.

this is what i got going just c/p this link
Code:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?navAction=
no need for code
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracel....ip?navAction=

i also run 12v battery with a solar charger ... i have a 36v cart and it was the cost that got me to use the 12v .. FREE !!! but the 12 deep cycle battery is the way to go ... usually used as a trolling motor on boats

as for wiring it in see my diagrams both converter and 12v
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...o-install.html

only thing i did not go into was wireing the key into the 12v system i used a 4 prong key switch 2 36v & 2 12v-
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a gel cel motorcycle battery. I am only powering the head/taillights and my 60 appearance LED's. The battery weighs about 18 pounds so it isn't an issue regarding weight. I already owned the trickle charger I use on it and I charge the cart after a day/nights riding, so plugging in the trickle is no effort.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO