lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Nccart
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 & 1986 ez GOs

I just got these two carts and plan on upgrading one. In the planning stages now. It will be used around the house only. I have some steep hills and some slippery trails. Speed isn't a concern, torque is the priority. I'll post some pics when I get home.
First question, the resistor coils? I did a
Search and read about upgrading to solid state and eliminating them, but couldn't find any in depth info. Could someone explain what they do and advantages of upgrading. I know very little about carts.
I'm starting with this question because that is the only spot that is getting hot.
Thanks.
Nccart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 & 1986 ez GOs

Early carts ( pre 89-90ish) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle. The gas peddle operated a wiper which swept a contact across stationary lugs which connected to the resistors. The solenoid merely switched power on /off to the speed wiper.
This is why it does you no good to just upgrade the solenoid....

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller. Amperage = Torque.
The solid state controller does not waste any amps and this increases the run time.Hope this helps?

All of that being said ....... You can not put 48v thru a resistor cart without melting one of the components I mentioned above eventually, period. We have pictures.
BATTERY CHART:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1262101187
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Nccart
Not Yet Wild

Very helpful, thank you.
When the time comes to replace the batteries I'd like to upgrade to 48v to gain run time(current
Batteries are fine, won't replace until
Needed). That being the case, looks like I need to go solid state and not replace existing coils. Are there any other parts that go along with the solid state upgrade while I'm replacing it. Sounds like a good time to replace all wires, anything else?
I'm trying to get a list together. I want to get my power right before doing the suspension and tires.
Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Nccart
Not Yet Wild

I guess the question is, what parts can I upgrade on the 36v cart that will also work after upgrading to 48v?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Nccart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Early carts ( pre 89-90ish) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle. The gas peddle operated a wiper which swept a contact across stationary lugs which connected to the resistors. The solenoid merely switched power on /off to the speed wiper.
This is why it does you no good to just upgrade the solenoid....

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller. Amperage = Torque.
The solid state controller does not waste any amps and this increases the run time.Hope this helps?

All of that being said ....... You can not put 48v thru a resistor cart without melting one of the components I mentioned above eventually, period. We have pictures.
BATTERY CHART:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1262101187
Very good description and info, thanks!
What speed controller do you recommend? I'm going to upgrade one and leave the other stock. Is one cart better than the other? The one with the black front is an '88 and the other is an 86. Can you tell what models they are by looking at the pics?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371559046.154091.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371559072.196331.jpg
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 & 1986 ez GOs

Our solid state conversion kit is a plug and play fit on 1987 and up models. It can be refitted into the earlier cart. The later cart has headlights and a more modern motor and differential. So I would upgrade the 88.

You can do the complete conversion to solid state at 36v and upgrade to 48v later which just the change of a pre-charge resistor on the solenoid. Any of our conversion packages that end in 4 will have the superduty 400 solenoid which can run on 36 or 48 and all of our controllers run on 36 or 48 volts.
Go to > http://cartsunlimited.net/Scottyb_s_Conversion_Kit.html
for more information on solid state conversions.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Nccart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Our solid state conversion kit is a plug and play fit on 1987 and up models. It can be refitted into the earlier cart. The later cart has headlights and a more modern motor and differential. So I would upgrade the 88.

You can do the complete conversion to solid state at 36v and upgrade to 48v later which just the change of a pre-charge resistor on the solenoid. Any of our conversion packages that end in 4 will have the superduty 400 solenoid which can run on 36 or 48 and all of our controllers run on 36 or 48 volts.
Go to > http://cartsunlimited.net/Scottyb_s_Conversion_Kit.html
for more information on solid state conversions.
Thanks
Is package c74 able to be adjusted down or have a setting for less amps so I can run my existing 4ga cables until I upgrade motor and batteries?
What kind of gain will I get? Right now with the stock set up it slows going up steep grades.
Also the '86 is faster, could an upgraded f/r switch make it faster? It has a different switch that feels sturdier, but the batteries may also be newer. I haven't checked the date or voltage yet. Is the f/r switch original or can you tell by the pics?
Thanks again!

'86
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371566294.131840.jpg

'88
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371566319.106300.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO