lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Gerling1209
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor upgrades

Hey guys, I know this has asked a million times but I cant seem to find it on here. I just got a 99 48v with the series motor. The cart has a 6 in lift and 22 in tires. Of course I'm looking for some more power. I know I need a controller upgrade but not sure which one is right for me. The cart will be used as a hunting rig, so I def need alot more torque for hills, hauling equipment and people, ect. Speed isnt really an issue, but wouldn't mind a little more there as well. Any advice on the best route to take would be greatly appreciated. Also, what all needs to be upgraded when going to a bigger controller? Thanks!
Gerling1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor upgrades

I will let the experts and site sponsors chime in... but my controller upgrade experience has been nothing short of amazing.

I went with a 500a Alltrax, HD solenoid and 2awg cables.
The cart still has the stock motor but now with a ton of extra power. I actually dialed it down a bit.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

bigger controller you will need 2ga cable and will take roughly 29 feet (battery,motor,4 long going to the F/R switch) for a series cart if you make your own. Along with a brass bolt kit for the OBC (https://www.cartsunlimited.net). A larger solenoid wont hurt either.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerling1209 View Post
Hey guys, I know this has asked a million times but I cant seem to find it on here. I just got a 99 48v with the series motor. The cart has a 6 in lift and 22 in tires. Of course I'm looking for some more power. I know I need a controller upgrade but not sure which one is right for me. The cart will be used as a hunting rig, so I def need alot more torque for hills, hauling equipment and people, ect. Speed isnt really an issue, but wouldn't mind a little more there as well. Any advice on the best route to take would be greatly appreciated. Also, what all needs to be upgraded when going to a bigger controller? Thanks!
Here's the thing in a nutshell. The original drive system is designed for golf. Bigger tires reduce torque. The whole drive system needs an upgrade to become a hunting buggie. The parts list is short but, not cheap; Controller, solenoid, cables, motor, and F&R for series carts.

The reason all of these parts need upgrading is because these components are all in the delivery chain of battery power (amperage) to the motor. And speaking of the motor the stock motor is designed for golf not off roading so eventually the cart will need a purpose bigger built motor.

If upgrading in stages start with a 500 or 600 amp controller and 400 amp solenoid, some 2g cables and F&R if series, then the motor.

Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Gerling1209
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir that helps a ton. When the time comes for the motor upgrade, wil I need a new motor? Or will the existing motor just need upgraded? What would need to be done to the existing motor if so?
Gerling1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I would run the old motor and see how it goes before I drop the cash on a new one .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car