lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding Exterior GFCI for Charger

My cart has been kicked to the curb. Well, to the side of the house anyway. So, it will spend it's life outside (under a waterproof cover).

Currently I'm running an extension cord to a "less used" circuit in the garage. I want to install an exterior GFCI outlet. Fortunately where the cart will be is only about 10-15' from my exterior main house Breaker Box.

From my research, looks like a standard 20A circuit should be fine. Gonna run an external 12/2 whip from the main box to an external single gang box. Run a 20a GFCI, 20a breaker and I already have a waterproof door/cover that I had from a previous project.

Just want to be sure the 20A is plenty. The only future use for that dedicated circuit would be a mighty mule gate opener I have plans to install in the future. Would this 20a circuit be enough for both?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mule.JPG (22.9 KB, 0 views)
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Adding Exterior GFCI for Charger

Which battery charger do you have?
With most battery chargers a 20A circuit is more than enough.
I can run two Powerdrive chargers on one 20A circuit in my shop, and don't have problems with the breakers tripping.

Try to find out the amp draw that your future gate opener might use. It's probably 10 amps or less. The charger should be around 10 amps or a little under depending on which one you have.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I can run two Powerdrive chargers on one 20A circuit in my shop, and don't have problems with the breakers tripping.

Try to find out the amp draw that your future gate opener might use. It's probably 10 amps or less. The charger should be around 10 amps or a little under depending on which one you have.
My charger is the club car Powerdrive.

Not sure how many amps the gate opener uses. Only info I was able to find on the electrical for the mighty mule opener is in the pic I posted previously.

Sounds like it should be enough. The gate opener is a future project that may never happen.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Just found this on the FAQ for the opener:

"The transformer is connected to the control box with up to 1000 ft. of 16 gauge, multi-stranded, dual conductor, direct burial, low voltage wire (not provided)." I'm guessing it isn't much draw
Old 03-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Didn't see that before, but it runs on a 12v battery, so the only draw that would have is the small transformer charger it uses to keep the battery topped up. Basically not enough to even worry about.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Have a mighty mule and it runs off of a little battery but we upgraded to a lawn mower battery and charges using a solar panel.. original battery would last maybe a year. This setup is 3 years old and still good.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car