lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #21
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 99 48 volt DS not charging (OBC DOA?)

Spend some quality time on the cart last night. I plugged in the charger and after 2 seconds it kicked on. Still the amp meter was at zero. Started checking batteries. All right at +8.0. Started checking wires, and saw a small spark from the black wire on the passenger side of the receptacle... then the amp meter jumped to 20... and the tone of the charger changed... I rechecked all batteries, they were above 9. My cart has a digital voltmeter, started out at 49.5, after 20 min was up to 55 and then the charger shut off
The sparking wire at the receptacle was loose (from me fiddling with the wires). I tightened the wire and rechecked voltage. Based on my hand help meter, all batteries are holding between 8.2 & 8.3, total volts all batteries were 49.7. Total volts per the carts digital meter was 49.8. I even checked the voltage at the receptacle, 39.5 volts (so far so good). I reconnected the charger, after a few seconds I hear click from the relay, then nothing... I waited 10 min, nothing... Tried it again, unplug the cord, wait a few min and reconnect... again nothing. This time not even a click from the relay. So instead of breaking something, I decided to call it a night. Before I left for work this morning, I plugged the charger into the cart... again nothing... so I opened the fuse on the gray wire (keeping the fuse in the receptacle wire), jumpered it to battery 6 post negative, and boom, the charger kicks in and the needle goes to 20... I shut everything down and went to work. I'm now pretty confident the OBC has given up, and it's time to either replace it, or replace the charger with a new version and bypass the OBC.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #22
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 99 48 volt DS not charging (OBC DOA?)

The saga continues...

When plugging in the charger the relay clicks, the charger hums, but it not putting out any volts. So pulled out my meter again. Total battery voltage, 49. All batteries have been cleaned and topped off with water. I believe everything in the cart is working. Now onto the charger. Tests for continuity, fuse - good, relay when activated - good, fuse- good, meter- good. According to my research, the heat sink /diode with the center post wires removed, should have continuity in one direction. I do not have continuity in either direction. According to my research, this part is known to fail.

Do I replace the diode for $40 and hope if found the issue, or to I just just buy a newer style charger with smart tech built in, including a battery tender?
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car