lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Denglishdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Tire Size choices? - 2002 IQ

I'm ordering a rim and tire combo in the next month or so for my cart. the current tires are original and have dry rot and need to be filled with air once a week. figured i would order rims at the same time, because why not.

its a stock IQ, it has the fastest speed code and full enclosure. i have read in several thread that speed code only increases speed and not torque. the courses around here have hills and i slow down to about stock speed going up hills.

i am deciding between 215/30-12 and 215/40-12. the 215/40-12 are the biggest and should fit fine. they are about 1/2 inch taller and wider then stock. i wouldn't images i notice a further decrease in torque or increase in speed from 1/2 inch. i think this size would be best as the tires would "fill" the space better.

the 215/30-12 are about 1.5 inches shorter. I'm considering these with the thought they might provide a little more torque for hills.

Wanted to see what your guys thoughts were on the two tire choices I'm thinking about? If either size will make a difference either way?

its a good cart and i don't have any intentions to but any more money into it other then tires. wife already says i spend to much on golf stuff.
thanks
Denglishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tire Size choices? - 2002 IQ

Other thing you need to remember is the weight of the combo. Replace steal rims and six ply tires with aluminum rims and four ply larger tires could even gain you torque. That’s what happened to me when I went from 20 steel AT to 22 aluminum AT from Steeleng. Can’t say enough about their customer service and price point.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

1.5" shorter is going to cause you some ground clearance problems and greatly reduce your top speed. Yes it will give you a little more torque.

Yes, SP4 will only increase speed as it raises the RPM limit in the controller allowing more MPH. Your smaller tires would increase the RPM's and reduce your speed more.

I would get the tire and wheel combo I like best and then see what I need after that, if anything.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Denglishdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

both make good points. the small increase in torque probably wont make up for decrease in speed and more importantly the ground clearance issues that may come up. if the wheels are lighter that will help. i think i will end up with the 215/40-12.

probably over thinking all of this but been working from home all month and getting pretty bored. waiting for last bit of snow to melt so the courses can open.
thanks
Denglishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car