lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Opienva1
Not Yet Wild

Default What to look for when buying a used cart

I'm starting to look at carts. I'm thinking of getting a later model off course stock cart. What are some things to look for when i go to look at them. I plan on Modding it to my taste. But will keep most of the electronics stock for a while.
Opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What to look for when buying a used cart

Im far from a cart expert... but in my experience... it's always the batteries that hurt your wallet the most.
Unless it can be proven that the batteries are pretty fresh (1 or 2 years max) I would assume it will need all new batteries... so definitely factor the cost and condition of batteries into the negotiating process.

I bought my cart for $300 and was told "It only needs a set of batteries"

I probably have $3k+ into it now and that's about all it would be worth if I sold it.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

I would agree with the last post. Buy/price the cart assuming it needs new batteries immediately. If it doesn’t, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Other than that, take it for a test drive like you would a car. Gun it, hard stop. Listen for unexpected sounds. Take some hard turns. Put it in drive, pull forward, put it in reverse, back up, put it in drive and pull forward, put it in reverse and back up. Make sure everything works perfect. Also give a good look at the charger (inspect wires, plug it in, unplug it, plug it in, unplug it (in the cart and the wall)). Any rust or signs of abuse (gouges in body), Id walk away.

As a point of reference, I bought my stock 2016 club car precedent off a golf course fleet lease that expired in January 2019 for $2,550. Maybe ask for a 30 day warranty, someone selling from a fleet will probably be willing to do that, because they just give you a different one if something went wrong.

Good luck
MadAktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
rflagler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAktion View Post
I would agree with the last post. Buy/price the cart assuming it needs new batteries immediately. If it doesn’t, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Other than that, take it for a test drive like you would a car. Gun it, hard stop. Listen for unexpected sounds. Take some hard turns. Put it in drive, pull forward, put it in reverse, back up, put it in drive and pull forward, put it in reverse and back up. Make sure everything works perfect. Also give a good look at the charger (inspect wires, plug it in, unplug it, plug it in, unplug it (in the cart and the wall)). Any rust or signs of abuse (gouges in body), Id walk away.

As a point of reference, I bought my stock 2016 club car precedent off a golf course fleet lease that expired in January 2019 for $2,550. Maybe ask for a 30 day warranty, someone selling from a fleet will probably be willing to do that, because they just give you a different one if something went wrong.

Good luck
i just started looking at carts. Your price seems exceptionally low. I assume this is because you're from Florida? I don't see those prices around my area. (Kansas City)
rflagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Opienva1
Not Yet Wild

I think I narrowed it down to 2014, 15, 16. Is one better than the other, besides the age of it?
Opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #6
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflagler View Post
i just started looking at carts. Your price seems exceptionally low. I assume this is because you're from Florida? I don't see those prices around my area. (Kansas City)
I didn’t shop around that hard. It was completely stock. But...There are a million golf courses here...I do see them on transporter trucks regularly when driving down the interstate
Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAktion View Post
I didn’t shop around that hard. It was completely stock. But...There are a million golf courses here...I do see them on transporter trucks regularly when driving down the interstate
I was thinking about this a little more...

Don’t just go to Craigslist (or other online sites). Also, don’t go to the cart stores to look at their showrooms. They are all looking for “instant gratification” buyers.

Make calls. Make lots of calls. Someone will be buying a fleet of “just off lease” golf carts and they’ll be happy to sell you one at cost to lessen their investment.

Keep in mind, a new club car per club car’s website starts at $6,726 MSRP (see link). If It’s anything like car buying, and it probably is, a dealer will take less significantly less to sell new.

https://www.clubcar.com/us/en/personal/golf-new.html

Now imagine what a golf course is paying to lease a bulk fleet of these base models...below is a link to actual results of a 65 cart purchase RFP (request for proposal) I found online. They are paying less than 4,700 per cart new, and they aren’t stock golf course carts (probably have lighting, etc).

https://www.louisvilleco.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26236

Depreciate a $4,700 cart 3 yrs (assuming a cart lasts 8 years to a business 4,700/8x5=) and it’s now valued at appx $2,900. That’s not even taking into consideration that the first years of a carts life are more valuable than the later ones.

There’s plenty of carts in the world, and a lot of them are being sold cheap. If you want a deal, you need to cut out as much markup/middlemen as possible. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB665345-A14B-490D-8778-A06C2709B424.jpg (126.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FD6F267B-64B7-43EA-A9CC-8652311909E4.jpg (52.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opienva1 View Post
I think I narrowed it down to 2014, 15, 16. Is one better than the other, besides the age of it?
I want to say that 2014 is when CC switched to the inferior 'ERIC' chargers. If that 2014 is early enough, it may have the PD3/OBC charging system, which is better.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I wold agree with jake
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

IMO- this would be a great guy to buy from...

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/snd/...111120545.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B8443753-9BEC-458B-B33A-B79BA323AC83.jpg (154.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car