lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
Mmulisha84
Not Yet Wild

Default Going Crazy.... 95 DS Controller junk or Pot Box

I picked this 95 DS up 3 weeks ago it had been sitting since 2006. I brought it home the steering was locked up, and just in poor shape. Long story short, threw a 6” lift on it, 22” wheels, brand new batteries and that’s when the problems started. First it would move here and there I found the solenoid to be bad, replaced it and it ran perfect. Then power would come and go, I traced that problem to the plug going to the pot box under the cart at the pedal had corroded pins, I removed the plugs and soldered the connection and bingo worked again for a few laps when I came back and threw a 36v motor in it and realized it didn’t seem fast at all compared to the stock 48v motor. Through some testing I found the potentiometer wasn’t getting to full throttle made a small adjustment and bingo. Cart ran good for awhile till yesterday took one of my kids up the road and back and when we got to the driveway nothing... Clicks but nothing.
I’ve tested the key switch, checked power out of the solenoid, tested the motor with 12v and it works fine, deleted and bypassed the OBC just incase, I’ve come down to controller or pot box. It’s always had a blank spot in the throttle which seemed to get worse at least it seemed like it always happened at a certain throttle point. My local cart shop says that would also be a sign of the controller going though to. I’ve also tested voltage at the M terminal on the controller and I have pack voltage even while pressing the throttle.
Testing the throttle is not getting me anywhere though. Because when the solenoid went out I checked the pot for ohms across purple and green and didn’t see a 0-5k values at all sure the ohms moved around with the pedal but not at 0-5k range and once i replaces the solenoid I checked again and got the same reading when the cart seemed fine. Again I test across it with a high end fluke auto meter and the ohms more around but not 0-5k which is leading me to the controller. Problem is I don’t want to drop another 500 into a controller and the pot be the problem or the other way around.
Is there anyway to manually trigger the controller to run or is there something I am missing here?
95CC 48v
Mmulisha84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Going Crazy.... 95 DS Controller junk or Pot Box

to BGW

You can diagnose the pot real quick by testing it. You should get a smooth 0-5k ohm reading from no throttle to full throttle. Do you have that? More than likely, your issue is the pot and not the controller. Luckily a conversion kit is available to upgrade to the modern MCOR throttle if your pot is indeed bad.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Mmulisha84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
to BGW

You can diagnose the pot real quick by testing it. You should get a smooth 0-5k ohm reading from no throttle to full throttle. Do you have that? More than likely, your issue is the pot and not the controller. Luckily a conversion kit is available to upgrade to the modern MCOR throttle if your pot is indeed bad.
All the manuals call for some digital box to test it, I’m testing across purple and yellow at the pot. An anyone confirm this is the test for it?
Old 04-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I would just test it at the number 2 and 3 tabs on the controller.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
Mmulisha84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I would just test it at the number 2 and 3 tabs on the controller.
Are you sure 2 and 3?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C6ACE45-DB91-4029-8E47-CEB7807951A4.jpg (8.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Should be 2 and 3, here’s the diagram for your cart: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...2&d=1541941675
Old 04-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Mmulisha84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Should be 2 and 3, here’s the diagram for your cart: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...2&d=1541941675
Here’s what I got between 2 and 3 with them disconnected from the controller. The meter is in auto scale but no manual scale would show a 0-5k reading, and no there isn’t a smooth sweep from no throttle to full throttle but I kinda expected that because the way it acted when it was moving.
See even though the reading aren’t right on, I feel like some reading in its sweep should have made the motor at least twitch but nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 41456457-B5A0-4568-95DB-C335BC250454.jpeg (91.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 1725650D-4C31-42DA-80BC-106C7EEE53C0.jpeg (93.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

It should be a smooth gradual sweep... just like a dimmer switch.

If its jumping around, thats where I would start.
Its way cheaper than a motor controller too.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
Mmulisha84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
It should be a smooth gradual sweep... just like a dimmer switch.

If its jumping around, thats where I would start.
Its way cheaper than a motor controller too.
Yes I agree, I opened it up and pulled the potentiometer out, by hand I still can’t get it to read within the range it should. The potentiometers are readily available I’m going to try replacing it and see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AB7F3F39-38F0-4904-B687-476034B9E7AA.jpeg (77.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

That is a 5k-0 pot box. Discontinued many years ago.

Jack the rear wheels off the ground until you get this sorted out. It might take off WOT with the wrong signal.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car