lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Chargers

I currently have a PowerDrive2 charger. Is there a better charger or what charger would you recommend? Stock 05 Precedent.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Chargers

The Lester Summit II is the best charger on the market right now. It is a high efficiency, Bluetooth capable charger with a maintenance/float mode. Several of the site sponsors carry it.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Bump for the Summit II
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Been doing some reading since I/we have time during this time. So.......

Does this charger bypass the OBC? Would this do a better job charging then my PowerDrive2 charger?

A quick history of my cart.
I bought my cart in 2012. It sat in storage for 7 years unused. So basically brand new. Only thing done was the batteries were periodically charged but of course needed batteries when I bought it. I replaced the Trojans with US batteries. I have been reading that US batteries use a different charge scenario. My current charger seemed to charge them fine and got 7 years from the pack. I didn't use my cart last year and didn't replace the batteries till this year. I now have a set of Crown batteries and wonder how my current charger will do. So it got me thinking is there a better charger out there or is my PowerDrive just fine?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

In all reality if your PD2 and OBC are working fine, I’d save the money and leave them alone.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've heard great things about the Summit II by Lester... and If I have to buy another new one, that would be my first choice.

That said... I have been bypassing the factory OBC's and using DPI chargers for several years.
The DPI chargers have specific charging algorithms for different brand batteries. I know some here hate the DPI stuff... but there was a time when it's what everyone (old school) here recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dpi charger settings.jpg (113.8 KB, 0 views)
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
I've heard great things about the Summit II by Lester... and If I have to buy another new one, that would be my first choice.

That said... I have been bypassing the factory OBC's and using DPI chargers for several years.
The DPI chargers have specific charging algorithms for different brand batteries. I know some here hate the DPI stuff... but there was a time when it's what everyone (old school) here recommended.
It kind of broke my heart when the DPI was no longer the favored charger as mine is not 6 years old and no way can I see replacing it...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

When dpi went to the gen 4 is when problems started. My gen 3s have been fine but the one gen 4 I have has been repaired 3 times and doesn’t float. My next one will probably be a summit
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
It kind of broke my heart when the DPI was no longer the favored charger as mine is not 6 years old and no way can I see replacing it...
My only gripe with DPI is when they went to a detachable DC power cord.
The connection end at the box is pure garbage. I will eventually hardwire mine.
DPI has acknowledged the issue. I saw a statement on their website offering free cord upgrade kit if anyone has issues with the new (failed) design. Just takes a phone call to initiate.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
When dpi went to the gen 4 is when problems started. My gen 3s have been fine but the one gen 4 I have has been repaired 3 times and doesn’t float. My next one will probably be a summit

What voltage should it float at ?

I've noticed mine seems to stay around 50-52v.

Maybe mine is not float charging anymore.

Maybe I spoke too soon on DPI.

Edit to add...

Was just reading on DPI website. Didnt see a float charge voltage listed... but did see that "float" charge means it just stops charging and will re-start after long periods of inactivity... so maybe I misunderstood float charge.
I always thought it meant a higher voltage and lower amps to prevent plate sulfating.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car