lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Question about Controller vs motor upgrade

I got a 2018 CC Precedent and I have a question.
If I want to achieve about 22-23 mph, would upgrading the motor be sufficient on this cart or do I have to upgrade the controller as well.

Is it standard to have to upgrade controllers when doing motor upgrades or can I keep the controller stock with an upgrade motor from plum quick for example.

Thanks,
MikeF0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Question about Controller vs motor upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF0209 View Post
I got a 2018 CC Precedent and I have a question.
If I want to achieve about 22-23 mph, would upgrading the motor be sufficient on this cart or do I have to upgrade the controller as well.

Is it standard to have to upgrade controllers when doing motor upgrades or can I keep the controller stock with an upgrade motor from plum quick for example. ....
I'm new to carts, but here's my take on it.
I have a stock 2003 48V with 10.3:1 rear axle gears.
It would do 19 mph downhill, 17-18 on flat and 14-16 on hills.
After installing a PQ Bandit it will hit 21-22 on the flat/downhill and 15-17 on hills.
I got the Bandit because I figured the motor was 17 years old and wanted a known good condition motor.
Been prepping/modifying for an Alltrax XCT 48400 controller.
Cables/wiring are almost done, solenoid next, then the Alltrax.
I think ours would go a little faster than most stock carts because with the gear ratio & 18.5" tires it is equal to having 22" tires and 12.0:1 gears.
Just a motor upgrade with a stock system might get you to 20 mph or just over, don't know.
I think a controller will get you there, maybe with a stock motor.
I think other more knowledgeable people will have input.
An upgrade to a 400A controller would need to include 2 ga cables for the batteries/motor and a 400A solenoid to handle the increased amps.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a 2016 Precedent, with an Alltrax controller and 2 gauge cables, I can hit 27 with the stock motor on 22” tires.
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your starting point for any speed upgrades would be the controller. The controller is the equivalent of the carburetor on a electric car. The controller governs the speed. Even with the most powerful motor built will only go 19.6mph with a Curtis stock Controller. You also need to provide field mapping for a new motor. To me the ideal situation would be to upgrade the controller first to see how it goes. If you got lots of hills in your area you may find you need to increase your hp. If you need more speed get a speed motor. If you need more low end power get a torque motor.There are a few controllers out there but my preference is the Alltrax XCT48500 which is fully user adjustable.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car