lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default SS wheel caps keep falling off :(

Can't seem to keep the wheel caps on my wheels. I've had them fall off when I roll a wheel/tire up the driveway and even when I am putting them on the cart. The cart does not yet run and I figure if this is happening now it will certainly happen once under speed. I do see the little plastic (I've had those break also) tabs and have the metal clip installed in the indent for the cap. One fell off after picking up the wheels from the shop, and they installed the caps so I think they should be done correctly.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Can't think I am the only one seeing this. I might just do away with the stock caps altogether and fab something up to cover the hole so I am looking for suggestions.

Thank you!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: SS wheel caps keep falling off :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Can't seem to keep the wheel caps on my wheels. I've had them fall off when I roll a wheel/tire up the driveway and even when I am putting them on the cart. The cart does not yet run and I figure if this is happening now it will certainly happen once under speed. I do see the little plastic (I've had those break also) tabs and have the metal clip installed in the indent for the cap. One fell off after picking up the wheels from the shop, and they installed the caps so I think they should be done correctly.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Can't think I am the only one seeing this. I might just do away with the stock caps altogether and fab something up to cover the hole so I am looking for suggestions.

Thank you!
Can you show us a photo of the wheels and caps you are talking about?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yessir! I think these are called Vampire, if that helps.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Wheels 1.jpg (184.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SS Wheels 2.jpg (152.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

So. They obviously do not install from the back? What holds them on as it is?

Sorry I've never had that type, but I am interested in how they are supposed to work.

Great looking wheels.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If they keep falling off then either the shop lost some of the clips that hold them, or they're just junk to begin with. I'd go back to the shop and ask them to take care of that. Wheel combos like that are relatively expensive, and you don't expect to lose parts of the wheel paying that kind of money for them.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are 6 little tabs on the back of the cap. You push the cap onto the wheel and the tabs start to grab, and then you have a circular wire that you use to apply pressure to the tabs to better grip. I'll attach a pic or two of some spare caps that I have to give you a better idea of the application.

Thank you for the compliment; it's a little bling for a cart that I am building for mrs. simicrintz to go get the mail in :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap 1.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cap 2.jpg (64.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I see, was thinking maybe there were metal clips or something holding it on. Sometimes the wheel has a notch to line the caps up and the notch has to be perfect or else they don't clip on all the way. Check to see if the groove those tabs fit into has any notches in it.
You can also go the Gorilla Glue route... They'll never come off again.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

The shop (local) has been great in trying to help me. This is the 3rd set that they have given me, and since I struggled with the first 2 sets I asked them to install this set. As I was rolling one out of the truck the cap fell off and the second one fell off as soon as I put it on the cart. I checked both before I moved them out of the truck and they felt secure. The white caps in the pic they gave me as backups (I told them I could paint them chrome).

I like the wheels (and you're right-they are not inexpensive) but the quality (?) of the caps is definitely lacking. I am thinking of trying to find something flat that I could set on the wheel that does not protrude if I can't find a fix. Not sure how I would attach it without it looking hokey yet though.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

No real alignment notches to slide the tabs into; you just kinda snap them in and set that wire (I have found that if I slide the wire into the cap first and then slide it out towards the cap after it is in it works better).

You got me thinking on Gorilla Glue now. I guess I don't see a downside to never being able to take them off so maybe that is the solution! I'd just like to have them install like they should.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are they falling off the front, or the rear? Or both?
The lug nuts are definitely tight, right? 50ft lbs is usually what I aim for. I have a 1/4 drive impact that usually knocks them on perfect.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car