lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Minnesoootan
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Precedent jerks after running 20 minutes

Newbie here! Thanks in advance for any guidance on this one. It has had me stumped for a few weeks.

2008 48v Precendent PQ serial code. 3" RHOX lift, 20x10-12 wheels, Revolution speed magnet installed after issue started. 4 gauge wires everywhere (also installed after issue started). GE Motor. 2017 Trojan T-1275 batteries. Cart fully charges to 50.98 volts.

After driving at pretty much full throttle for 3 miles on pavement (somewhat hilly), the cart will start to jerk. It's not just coasting, it acts like it's hitting regeneration mode for a split second and then takes off. This happens about every 5 seconds at full throttle. If I left off the pedal slightly, it stops for about 30 seconds and then starts again. I have to go slower and slower to keep it from happening until the cart drops into limp mode and we go home very slowly. When I get home, I test the battery pack at about 49.4 volts.

I was thinking it might be a controller issue and thought I could "fool" it with a speed magnet. Nope. Then I checked the motor and it seemed pretty hot after running so thought all cable should be swapped out from 6 gauge to 4 gauge. No help.

This just started happening about 6 weeks ago. I do have a multimeter and a digital clamp meter with min/max so can test amperage draw (largest draw I've seen on a small incline was about 154 amps). Lowest voltage I've seen under acceleration on any one battery was about 11 volts.

If I let it sit and cool for a few minutes, it runs fine for a little while but then starts again. I have done the standard push test for the controller and have reset the OBC.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to keep shotgunning stuff. It seems that I've attacked the cheaper/simpler items. Only thing left is controller, OBC, batteries or motor?

Thanks again!
Minnesoootan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Qman97
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2008 Precedent jerks after running 20 minutes

I had a similar issue with my 2009. I would cruise slow for about a couple miles or so and the cart would start to stutter and/or completely shut off. I checked everything and finally noticed the large metal plate the controller is mounted to was HOT! Really hot!

I ended up replacing the controller and selinoid with the Alltrax setup and I have had no issues since.

Next time it does this put your hand on the metal plate where the controller is and see if it is overheating
Qman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Minnesoootan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Qman. The plate over the controller doesn't get hot at all. It is slightly warm, but barely above body temp.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Next time it acts up, put the cart in neutral and work the accelerator pedal up and down real fast for 30-40 times. If you're having an issue with the MCOR, this will clear it up for a period of time.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
Minnesoootan
Not Yet Wild

I'll give that a shot tonight basshawk. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Minnesoootan
Not Yet Wild

Tried the MCOR test 4 times tonight during one trip. No luck. Any other thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car