lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Jameybeal
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 ds iq phone charger melting when plugged in

Alright this is boggling my mind. I have a 2005 club car ds iq. Brand new batteries installed today, 30 amp 48v-12v converter, planet audio 3.5” round radio, kicker speakers with LED, 10 LED rock lights underneath, dual usb charger, and LED headlights and taillights. All installed in the last 5 months by me. Checked every single wire to ensure no bare spots but when my lightning phone cord is plugged into the charger if the metal end touches anything metal it sparks and fries the charger end. Also the mounting bracket for my radio if it touches anything metal on the cart it arcs bad as well as the antenna mounting clips touches anything metal on the cart it arcs. The 48v-12v converter is wired correctly i believe. Has a yellow wire and black wire labled 12v so yellow is going to my positive and black to my negative on accessories, red wire and black wire labled 36-48v red going to positive #1 battery and black is going to negative #6 battery. Everything even arcs with the positive unhooked. Have to unhook both positive and negative feeding converter for it to not arc. Anyone seen this or know what is causing this?
Jameybeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 ds iq phone charger melting when plugged in

Check that every accessory negative is going back to the reducer and not to a negative point in the cart wiring. Do the same with the positives.

Disconnect each accessory in turn and see if it is still the same. If it's a problem with an accessory (like the radio) that will isolate it. Check that the radio memory wire is not the cause.

If it is still there, physically remove the reducer from its mountings so that it is not touching the cart and see if that makes a difference. If so it might be picking up stray current from the chassis (which should not be there so will need to be investigated).

If, after all that, it is still happening try borrowing a different reducer to see if yours is faulty.

One of those things should isolate the problem. Otherwise, re-post and someone might think of something.

Edit: You say that you installed these things over the last 5 months. Were things OK before? What was the last thing you installed before you noticed this? What reducer are you using?
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Jameybeal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Check that every accessory negative is going back to the reducer and not to a negative point in the cart wiring. Do the same with the positives.

Disconnect each accessory in turn and see if it is still the same. If it's a problem with an accessory (like the radio) that will isolate it. Check that the radio memory wire is not the cause.

If it is still there, physically remove the reducer from its mountings so that it is not touching the cart and see if that makes a difference. If so it might be picking up stray current from the chassis (which should not be there so will need to be investigated).

If, after all that, it is still happening try borrowing a different reducer to see if yours is faulty.

One of those things should isolate the problem. Otherwise, re-post and someone might think of something.

Edit: You say that you installed these things over the last 5 months. Were things OK before? What was the last thing you installed before you noticed this? What reducer are you using?
Sounds like a great idea I will start with each accessory one by one. I tied the memory wire on the radio to the red+ on the radio. Not sure if it was an issue before because I installed everything at one time. Had a old light kit before tied to batteries 5 and 6 but I removed all of it when i upgraded to LED. The reducer is an amazon special so no real name. I will know more tomorrow evening on which device is faulty or if its another issue. Looked over the cart as well to make sure previous owner didn’t ground anything to the chassis but didn’t see anything.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

yawood is spot on.

Did you ever confirm that you had 12 volts coming out of the reducer after you connected it?

You installed new batteries today, was everything working correctly for 5 months prior?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #5
Jameybeal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
yawood is spot on.

Did you ever confirm that you had 12 volts coming out of the reducer after you connected it?

You installed new batteries today, was everything working correctly for 5 months prior?
Yeah i checked the 12v before I tied in the accessories. I noticed the charger about a week later and found out about the radio this past sunday. I was installing a antenna and metal mounting bracket touched the frame while antenna was plugged into the radio. I am reading 48v from antenna and the cart frame. Only 12v from power leads at the radio. I replaced the batteries because I had one dead. They was 6 years old.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Jameybeal
Not Yet Wild

Alright so all of the accessories unhooked I am getting 50v from the negative on battery #6 and 0v from positive battery #1 to the buggy frame.

Tied the dual usb Port to negative Battery #4 and positive battery #3 For 16.7v and still arcing and blowing out the phone charger end when touching the buggy frame.

Unhooked usb charger and hooked up the radio. Plugged the antenna into the radio and the antenna mounting metal part is arcing when touched to the buggy frame. All wiring looks good from what I see ( positive to positive, negative to negative, and no bare spots in the wires. Checked my friends club car buggy and his needs charged but he is getting 31v negative battery#6 to the buggy frame. Any other ideas? I am pretty certain this is not normal.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check for a motor short leaking voltage to the frame.. Remove the cables from the motor after disconnecting the pack and test each motor terminal to the case for resistance. A low resistance reading would indicate a problem...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Jameybeal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Check for a motor short leaking voltage to the frame.. Remove the cables from the motor after disconnecting the pack and test each motor terminal to the case for resistance. A low resistance reading would indicate a problem...
What kind of resistance should I be reading? Should be reading open leads correct?
Old 08-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #9
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes...Should be open...Another thing you could try is unwanted continuity between F1 F2 to the frame...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car