lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
Audipilot1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Alltrax Controller Overheating and Battery Voltage Issues

Hello all, first post here.

I have a 2011 Club Car Precedent that has a jakes lift and 22" tires on it. I have slowly done some upgrades on. 2 years ago I upgraded the motor (I have the heavy case stock motor that I sent out to PQ to do the bandit upgrade), and at the same time installed a fresh set of Crown CR-190 batteries. The cart was getting about 24mph on the flat. Just this June I decided to upgrade the controller with the altrax 400amp XCT, and 2 gauge cables, new solenoid and user controller switch from Scotty at Carts Unlimited. The speed was, and still is amazing (31mph), however, my controller will overheat and shut down after running around for about 30 minutes. I've run multiple monitor files and Alltrax and Scotty concluded after a tweak to the Alltrax program that my battery voltage was dropping way to low driving amps up and therefore putting heat into the controller which caused it to shut down (was getting up to 90 degrees C). I added the accessory fan to see if that helped and after much discussion decided to go ahead and replace my batteries again with a fresh set of Trojan T-890 batteries (for a pretty penny I might add). I fully charged the new set and went for a ride this am to my dismay, the battery voltage on full charge was dropping and staying between 44-45 volts under load on the flat). I'm still getting 31 mph out of the motor but the volts arent right and the amps are high which is going to put the heat back into the controller. I have checked to make sure brakes arent grabbing and even flushed my differential fluid with the Purple SAE 5w-30. Alltrax and Scotty both have reviewed monitor files and settings (although I just sent them a new monitor file this am). I need to figure out what is going on with the cart as I cant keep overheating and shutting down (its leaving my wife and kids on the side of the road). Thanks for the help. I cant post the monitor files but am happy to share with anyone that asks for them (I get an invalid file type when trying to add them).
Audipilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax Controller Overheating and Battery Voltage Issues

Heat is a product of resistance. Have you checked to make sure all your battery cables are 100%?
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Audipilot1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yup. As a matter of fact I had to remove them all yesterday to replace batteries and re torqued them. Motor connections and controller connections re done as well.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do you have access to a different motor you can try?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Audipilot1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unfortunately I do not. That and the controller i would think are the only things left that could affect performance like this. But I知 still getting the speed out of the motor so I知 not sure that would happen if I was having a problem with it.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audipilot1 View Post
Unfortunately I do not. That and the controller i would think are the only things left that could affect performance like this. But I知 still getting the speed out of the motor so I知 not sure that would happen if I was having a problem with it.
Alltrax came to the conclusion that trying a different motor would be a good diagnostic solution. A new monitor file with a different motor would be very helpful at this point.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Audipilot1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I値l try and find a motor to try.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car