lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
RTFire
Not Yet Wild

Default V glide or MCOR?

Looking for some advice. I recently acquired a 1999 club car ds 48 volt and The cart is starting to buck and accelerates intermittently. F&R switch is new and batteries are good, so I’m assuming it’s my V glide. I’m torn between converting to MCOR or just buying a new v glide. Is converting to a MCOR the more reliable option? The cart does have a 300 amp alltrax controller.
RTFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: V glide or MCOR?

The MCOR may offer a bit smoother response, but IMO since it’s a controller cart and not a resistor cart, there’s no real current flowing through the v-glide so “better” is marginal at best.

Are you sure it’s the v-glide causing the problems? You can take it apart and clean all the contacts real good. Check resistances through the resistors in the v-glide and make sure they are correct (should be a list of what size resistor goes where in here somewhere if you search).

Ultimately the only purpose of your v-glide (or mcor) is to send a variable resistance to the inputs of the controller, which tells it how far you’ve pressed the pedal. Then it can output the voltage/current to match the input.

If it were mine I’d clean up and inspect the v-glide before spending any money on anything. Because it A. May not be your problem and B. May fix the problem if it is the cause.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
RTFire
Not Yet Wild

I have cleaned the contacts with an emery cloth but I have not checked the resistors. Based on what I’ve searched I figured it was either the v glide or F&R switch. I replaced the switch and problem still exists. This is my first cart so I’m learning as I go. Any other suggestions on what to check?
Old 04-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You say the batteries are "good"

What is the precise pack voltage?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFire View Post
I have cleaned the contacts with an emery cloth but I have not checked the resistors. Based on what I’ve searched I figured it was either the v glide or F&R switch. I replaced the switch and problem still exists. This is my first cart so I’m learning as I go. Any other suggestions on what to check?
First suggestion is to never buy parts without testing and diagnosing the actual problem. This “guessing” can be an extremely frustrating and expensive way to fix a cart. There’s more than enough people on here willing to help and provide information to help you along the way

I’d check the resistors in the v glide.
I also second mooncarter’s question. What is the exact pack voltage? And what is the pack voltage when you drive the cart (both while accelerating and cruising speed)
I’d double check all of the connections for poor connections, loose connections, and corrosion.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
First suggestion is to never buy parts without testing and diagnosing the actual problem. This “guessing” can be an extremely frustrating and expensive way to fix a cart. There’s more than enough people on here willing to help and provide information to help you along the way

I’d check the resistors in the v glide.
I also second mooncarter’s question. What is the exact pack voltage? And what is the pack voltage when you drive the cart (both while accelerating and cruising speed)
I’d double check all of the connections for poor connections, loose connections, and corrosion.
Yes. Way too many questions to assume it is the V-Glide causing this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #7
RTFire
Not Yet Wild

Pack voltage is 50.7, water levels are good and cables are tight. Yea I guess I learned the hard way with buying a new F&R switch. I appreciate the help. When checking resistors On v glide does it have to be hooked up to the cart or can I pull it and check them?
Old 04-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It’s always best and most accurate if you can isolate the circui lt you are trying to test when measuring resistance.

https://grokshop.tv/club-car-v-glide-resistors/
Old 04-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #9
RTFire
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I was able to jack my cart up today and test the voltage under load. My pack at full throttle was reading 48.7. I’m assuming that’s ok. I also hooked up my computer to my controller during the test and there were no error codes. During the test at full throttle it would stall and then pick back up and do that intermittently. I was a little confused on how to test the v glide so if anybody could lay out step by step instructions for beginners on how to test a v glide or post a link to instructions I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

You know, I have the same year cart that I converted to IQ. But before I made the conversions, my cart did much like you say yours does.

I pulled the original motor to install a new one and when I disassembled the old motor, I found the brushes had burned through the brush holders just enough to give erratic operation.

If I would have pulled the motor first thing in, I may still be running on the old equipment and still have money in the bank!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car