lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Default How do I bypass the DC relay in a charger for a 48V club car '97 model?

How can I bypass the DC relay that cuts the charger off on my 1997 club car?

I know I will have to watch the charging of the cart closley because of overload and overcharging concerns.

The problem is: I have installed a new OBC and the cart will still not charge. The charger comes on in the calibration phase for about 30 seconds. It then kicks off as it should, but it never kicks back on to charge the batteries. I know the batteries are not fully charged. They are putting out about 49 volts. That should be low enough to run the charger.

I can hear the relay kick in and out if I plug the charger into the cart before even plugging the outlet end of the charger into the 110V outlet. If this happens before I plug the charger into the 110V outlet it never even comes on for the initial calibration phase.

I want to charge the batteries temporarily for my grandkids. I have another new OBC ordered. I sure hope there is not another problem beside the OBC causing this situation.

And yes, The charger worked great for about 2 years and still works on another cart I checked it on last week. I have new batteries, new cables, everything is clean and tight and ALL fuses are OK. yes, even the one on the recpetical for the charger.

Any IDEAS????????????

I would greatly appreciate any help guys.
Aoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: How do I bypass the DC relay in a charger for a 48V club car '97 model?

under the seat on the rear of the charge receptical theres a grey wire......give that wire a pull to make sure it dosn,t come out.......what year is the cart?......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How do I bypass the DC relay in a charger for a 48V club car '97 model?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

inside your charger there is a small black box with 4 wires going into it, that is your relay, there are two wires with smaller plugs side by side. Leave those alone. The other two wires: one goes to the transformer, the other goes to the circuit breaker, disconnect both of them. Take the one from the transformer and connect it to the circuit breaker.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

I know you will find this hard to believe but it still operates the same way as before. I even took the circut breaker out of the loop and connected the wire from the transformer straight to the back wire coming from the 110V inlet wire with the same result.

I got the solution you mentioned straight from Lester the charger manufactuer earlier.

He was puzzeled also.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

make sure that you have your wire going to your battery going the right direction. The wire has to go from the battery through the front plastic piece out the metal side then into the controller, if you mix them up it does this problem.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

thanks, but the direction is correct.

I have ordered a new OBC, going to try another one I guess, even though the place I ordered the first one from would not make it up.

If the new one works I am going to try and send the other new OBC back to club car to get it tested.

Here is a picture of an identical charger: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...5-charger1.jpg
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I got the car fixed this afternoon.

The new OBC I bought from a local unethical dealer was bad in the box, just as I first thought. Installed a new one from a different dealer and the charger worked just like it was suppose to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car