lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 2stroke sputters under throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnatic View Post
Take the muffler off, get a good bonfire going, throw it in. Let it cooked for a while until good and hot and smoke coming out both ends. Take it out and shake and bang all the carbon out of it. rUns way better and the firewood, beer and time are alot less then $700 for a new muffler.
Gotcha! We used to pull the screens out of the weed eater mufflers. Those things were a pain in the A$$! It didn't make it much louder at all without the thing, and it ran 1,000% better without it! Thanks for the info! I'll have to try that on my truck muffler and maybe get some more oomph out of it too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So now that I am sure I have a 3pg with a BV-18 carb. What is the correct carb for a 3pg. i have found BV-21 listed and BV-24?
fordnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, so i called EZGO with my serial number and they say my 3pg calls for the BV-18-379 carb with a main jet of 90. So doing some web research i see the reference for 3pg with BV-21 and BV-24 so now i am confused butttt....i believe BU gave me an earlier EZGO "Thunderjet" which is what they advertise for 89 and up 2 stroke. So i think i will pull the motor this weekend and check the flywheel seal. Once I get good gas pressure and i put the original carb back on i will report back. Any suggestions on the crank seals? As to keeping them in...
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well far be it from me to argue with the EZGO Gods but if you Google BV 24 you will find endless references to the 3PG engine. Now maybe the only difference between the two is the jet size. These carburetors are very simple so maybe the Thunderjet will work and your problems relate to the worn front seal.

Many people (myself included) used a smear of Loctite Bearing Seal around the outer edge of the seal to hold it in. Be sure to use the blue (removable) rather than the red (oh dear God it's in for life) variety.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I hear ya and i agree. i googled till my eyes popped. These are pretty basic that is why i am wondering how the carb can be killing me but obvious fuel flow is low so once i get that fixed with the seals hopefully it will be much better. I will post soon and thanks for the input!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you don't mind slipping off the drive belt or putting it up on blocks, you can always shoot some WD-40 behind the fan to see if it starts firing better.

This is a quick and easy teast for the crank seals - I'd hate to put anyone through the flywheel removal process if they didn't need to. But alas, the symptoms you describe fit the bill, especially the tepid stream of fuel.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It actually starts and runs fairly decent but soon as you start cruising it starts sputtering and then running and so on. When I did the top end last year I bought the seals and did the clutch side but decided against pulling the flywheel because I was worried I would break something. Since then I have replaced the clutch side once already. I guess I should have done it right the first time but i will try the wd40 trick on the flywheel side first. Any tips on pulling the flywheel?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I think I found the root cause. The gas leaking into the case by first the leaking fuel pump and then by the needle valve did a number on my top end rebuild. The cylinder to case gasket dissovled from looks like being submerged in gas after sitting for a couple weeks and leaking down. Obvious sign is the blow out gas/oil leak between the two! Piston scored on the exhaust side but the cylinder that i bought with it last year isnt too bad. Taking to the machine shop this week to see if a .025 will be enough after he cleans it up. The clutc side seal I replaced in August is good. Now I need to go and get a couple 6mm bolts to pull the flywheel and replace that seal. Thanks for you input Dave. I will keep you posted once i get it together. It is a 3PG and I just blew out the old BV-18 carb I had that was on it forever. As long as I can keep the gas from entering when not needed and only through the carb I should be good!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good luck and keep us posted. We all like a story with a happy ending.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO