lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default 94 EZgo Marathon speed question

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and its been great with all the info. For me, I need our carts here to be workhorses, to reliably perform problem free and withstand the abuses of our staff We use carts here at my wholesale nursery to get around, we're not a big shop and I have to work on a limited budget. Just picked up a Marathon and its kind of slow when working even on a slight grade (4%). cart belonged to a racer so its been cared for better than others I have seen, least the batteries were ok.
Soon as the cart hits grade it slows down considerably. Is this normal for Marathons? Had one a while back we got rid of because of speed issues, maybe we need to change our expectations. All of our carts have boxes in the back, and we haul plants, tools, etc all the time. Changing the weight of the people+tools+payload weight doesnt seem to affect the speed. If its not the batteries then next is changing the controller?

Last edited by plantguy90; 10-23-2011 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: adding info
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 EZgo Marathon speed question

A racer may have used the cart to tow his race car a lot? Is the cart's drive system original? You can not increase speed in a Marathon Series cart cheaply. You will need more power to turn a higher reving aftermarket motor or bigger tires or both.
My suggestion would be a voltage increase 36 to 48v for 30% more torque and speed.
Again you can not do this properly without spending some cash.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Where do you put the 2 new batteries? Is there a link to this upgrade? Is it possiblt to gp to 42v? Too fast is also a problem with staff...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Cart is pretty much stock, wasnt used to tow the car, just wheels, tools, and people. It already had a steel box in back which was a plus for us.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you cannot get to 42v. All of your batteries in the pack have to match. If you want to go the 8x6v battery route Scottyb sells a kit for putting the batteries in the bagwell. Unless you can put them on the passenger and driver side under the seat. I am not real famiar with how marathons under hood is setup.

Good Luck!

Colton
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It is the nature of golf carts to slow down going up hills. As a reference, my 1991 Marathon (resistor drive) would run 14mph on the flat and slow to 8mph (GPS) on my test hill which I call moderately steep. My research indicates this is average to slightly better than average for this model cart in stock configuration.
Hope this helps.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Kernal,

Not to get off topic but do you have a link to pictures of your TXT? That blue looks gorgeous I want to get some ideas! Thanks

Back on topic now.......

Colton
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
Kernal,

Not to get off topic but do you have a link to pictures of your TXT? That blue looks gorgeous I want to get some ideas! Thanks

Back on topic now.......

Colton
At the moment no. I'm in the middle of some cosmetic upgrades----dash, wheels etc. It is a factory color, viper blue (28432G15) I believe. Owned since new.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Well if its just adding 2 batteries to the series then I can just get the proper length cables and strap those babies in?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Upping the voltage requires a different controller, heavy duty F/R switch, heavier gage wiring and a way to charge the batteries at the very least. More, if you are starting with a resistor cart (common in Marathons).

Refer to the post by Scottyb. This is what he does.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO