lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
mrpeewee
Not Yet Wild

Default about my motor

i have a late 70's resistor cart.can this motor be rebuilt or should i look at buying a new one?thanks peewee
mrpeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: about my motor

Call plumquick. They will be aple to help you out!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know your skills and abilities but by the time you take the motor off you ought to be able to take it apart and take a look inside!

If the commutator segments are not coming off and are not arced/burned to crisp,might want to give it a light sandpaper treatment until you see copper again,maybe use a fine pick and gently pull out the dust/caked in between the commutator bars,smooth it up! Make sure the brushes (if any left) are not hanging up and are moving freely in and out of the holder against the spring tension (remove them and sand them on their sides if necessary) and you should be good for some more years.
That's all usually goes wrong with them. Now if the whole thing is cracked or needing a rewind then obviously that takes a set of different skills to fix but hey why not give it a try and see how it looks like on the inside?
Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
mrpeewee
Not Yet Wild

that sounds like a good plan.i can at least do my own test and tune.it would be great if it goes that way.i just tested the motor again and took the ground off A-1i was told to try it with A-1 removed.i connected S-1 to A-2.and put the pos lead on S-2 and the neg lead on A-1.then the charger on and off.with not a thing to report from that test.next it is to remove the motor.my motor sits in front of the drive shaft with A-2 and A-1 in the front and S-1 in the rear.any pointers on removal?thanks peewee
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your hookup sounds right for testing. I'm not sure if the charger would move it especially still hooked to the cart! However if you did not even get a little spark then something is open in the motor. (The spark thing would only work if you had your charger powered and then touch the connection with the clip so never mind) I would try at least a 12V battery.

About taking it off,well I only have one older ez-go with the motor mounted exactly where the drive shaft would be on a rear wheel drive car but the 4 connections on that are in a straight line,3 in a group and the 4th some distance away. So it is different from yours. However look at the end cap of the motor! You may very well be able to leave the motor case and the rear end facing end cap on the cart and just remove the other end cap that you want anyway because that's where the brushes are! (the easy side) Then carefully pull the armature out,being careful not to bang it up on the field coil iron cores. When going back together (after cleaning/repair) you would first insert the armature into the endcap with the brushes and then insert the whole thing into the motor case! Otherwise if you put the armature in first and then try to put the cap back on,your brushes will hang up in the side of the commutators. (can't put it back on)
If this is even feasable on your motor! You'll just have to look at it for yourself. It worked doing it this way on a friend's yamaha and when I did it to my ez-go I had the whole motor off so I can't remember exactly.

I also hope that when you disconnected your cables from the motor,you did not let the post/stud spin with the outer nut!
Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
mrpeewee
Not Yet Wild

i will get it apart tomorrow.once i check it out if it runs great if not i will replace it.i will take some pics so you will be able to see what i am working on.this is my first cart to tackle but from what i see so far it is all pretty straight forward.6 to 8 switches soleinod batteries a end of line resistor .not alot it is the first demo i like to be careful with.i put ALOT on paper for later reference.i have 3 engines i am doing also so keeping good notes i a must for me...my favorite project right now is a westinghouse welder with a 9.6 clinton engine on it made in 1959.later peewee
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO