lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
bigned
Not Yet Wild

Default Winter is coming. Winterizing?

I know I have read something on this in the past. I just need a refresher coarse I guess. I have an EZGO 36v that is being kept in an unheated garage.
I have a charger that kicks on when it gets below the required level. Should I leave this hooked up all winter and check the batteries for water monthly? I just need a bit of guidance. Thanks
bigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
tcox4freedom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Winter is coming. Winterizing?

I'm interested in knowing about this as well because I plan on buying my 1st cart soon.

I still plan on using mine throughout the winter. But, it may only be once or twice a month. I sure would like to know if there are any special considerations needed during the winter for electric carts.
tcox4freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sorta-Kinda depends on whether the unheated garage is located in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska or Key West, Florida.

If you have a charger that automatically initiates a charger cycle when battery voltage drops to a predetermined point, leave it connected and let it do what it is designed to do, but check battery voltage( or specific gravity) and water level periodically. (4-6 weeks) If your charger doesn't come on automatically when voltage drops, you'll have to monitor the voltage and initiate a recharge cycle manually.

A fully charged battery can tolerate down to about -70F without freezing, but a fully discharged battery will freeze at about +32F, so keep it fully charged or close to it.

The battery's plates will sulphate when left in a discharged or partially discharged condition, so keep them charged.

As for cart usage in cold weather, at 32F the battery will only deliver about 50% of what it delivers at 80F, so performance will be less.
Also, carts aren't exactly the most stable platforms on dry ground, so be very cautious on slippery surfaces.
The driver & passengers may also be adversely effected by the wind-chill factor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

John I like your last notation. You sound like a meteorologist.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
I've been called worse.

Spent a year in Alaska and got to know the meaning of "COLD" firsthand.

(Technically, there isn't any cold, just more heat or less heat. Think of the Kelvin temperature scale and it become obvious)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is true!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
To be a meteorologist, you obviously have to be correct only 20% of the time to maintain a job! They don't get the "30% chance of rain today" unless they look outside, see it pouring down rain, and predict it from that. And some time they even get that wrong.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
To be a meteorologist, you obviously have to be correct only 20% of the time to maintain a job! They don't get the "30% chance of rain today" unless they look outside, see it pouring down rain, and predict it from that. And some time they even get that wrong.
I trust my "Weather Rock"
It has a guaranteed accuracy of +/- 38%
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Normally you would say they are dumb as a rock but in this case I will give weather folks the benefit of the doubt and say they are smart as that rock
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO