Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
mtiger10
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Detail & polish faded body & trim

I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 Club Car Precedent that will run great but will need plenty of cosmetic work. What is the best way to detail & polish the faded hunter green body? What about the black trim pieces and floorboard? I've been told that paint thinner will clean up the seats but I'm also open to the idea of new marine grade vinyl seat covers if that doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201007_075440482_HDR.jpg (230.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201007_075358757_HDR.jpg (201.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201007_075337595_HDR.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
mtiger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Detail & polish faded body & trim

The black plastic can be brought back a good bit with a heat gun. Clean it good...like super good, better than mom would clean it good, then use a heat gun on the high settings starting 6" away or more and work your way in till you see where it starts to affect the finish. Its almost melting the plastic, so if anything is on it, it will be in it, and you have to keep the gun moving so you don't leave spots. There are YouTube videos on the process so you can see how it works. Doesn't make it perfect, but its closer than any other process I have tried.

I suspect normal buffing will work on the plastic body. Almost looks like you have some stains, so not sure how you will get those out if they are in the plastic.

Seats: Get new covers...cheap and easy to do.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've seen this product mentioned by a few people on here. I got some the other day but haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet. If I get a chance this weekend I'll post my results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

You will be amazed. This is one coat on half of a Precedent rear & bagwell to show you what you are getting. You can do the floor mats, pedals and the steering wheel, basically everything black it leaves no stickiness and is not slippery at all. Do not use any automotive stuff on the trim as most have silicone which will keep this stuff from working. If that cart has had silicone stuff on it, pressure clean it first.

It is best to get the 2" wide sponge corner paint applicators for $69 at Ace. I have only used the blue square sponge that comes with the bottle one time. It soaks up too much product. One sponge applicator will do the whole cart including the floor mat, but do it last as it tears up the sponge quicker. It will be runny thru the sponge when you first squirt some on the sponge applicator and will drip thru. If doing this over good clean concrete or painted surface, it will stain the concrete. On painted floor it wipes off. Keep a damp rag as you are applying it to wipe off any that you get on the paint. When applying where the trim meets the body, I use a 6" wide putty knife to slide between the body and trim to apply it and keep it off the paint. Shake it a lot as you are using it.

The sponge cleans up with water when you are done and is reusable if it isn't worn out. With the smaller bottle you can do 3-4 Precedents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trim Restore BLAK.jpg (208.6 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger10 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 Club Car Precedent that will run great but will need plenty of cosmetic work. What is the best way to detail & polish the faded hunter green body? What about the black trim pieces and floorboard? I've been told that paint thinner will clean up the seats but I'm also open to the idea of new marine grade vinyl seat covers if that doesn't work.
M105 and M205 with proper pads with drill adapter will get the body looking great!
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
mtiger10
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So the new cart is very much a work-in-progress but I've got to show the difference on the black trim with a great product. Don't know all the forum rules yet so not sure if I should post the product name but what a difference it made! Recover all 4 seats will be next project

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
mtiger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration