lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 w/mods still no top end

Here's some pics for good measure lol mines the black g2

Yes, we have a thing for old yamis lol
LoudLowNslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Pflumph
Not Yet Wild

I have a G2 with 22" tires and a Jakes 6" lift. With no engine modifications, I was getting 25 on hard ground. The governor was screwed almost all of the way in.
It has run this way for almost 10 years, and worked well. Though I did have to rebuild the engine twice just because we used the crap out of it.

It's torn down now for a heart transplant (18hp Vanguard).

You should be getting at least 20 on grass with no mods other than maxing out the governor. If you're not getting enough power to get that far, something else is going on. I would guess either a major performance issue with the engine (Not making power) or the governor to throttle linkage is not adjusted correctly.

It would be interesting to know if you see a speed difference between the standard governor setting, and when it's fully screwed in. All of my speed gains (Except due to the larger tires) were only from screwing the governor in.
Pflumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Well that's the thing, my governor is screwed in more than 3/4 of the way already, and 16mph is on flat pavement. Engine runs and sounds like a top. Kind of thinking there's something else going on.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000249.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Pflumph
Not Yet Wild

Have you looked at your belt? If the engine is getting full RPMs, it has to be after the crank. Either a clutch issue or belt. Right?
Pflumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Belt is brand new and came with the Plowman's power kit

Last night i turned the governor nut the rest of the way in, and she still only does 16mph on flat pavement

It now feels like its cutting out - possible rev limiter? Thats what it feels like, certain RPM it cuts off for a second or two then throttles for a second or two then cuts out again

Its also now backfiring/ popping once in a while - REALLY loud

Getting sick of this cart quickly..

Thanks for any help - Paul
Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Belt or clutch problem. It should not be hitting the rev limiter. Even with stock 8" tires it should go faster than that (governor cranked should be 18-19mph with stock tires). Is your throttle opening fully?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Maybe the spacer between the carb and block is broke or your carb is not closing all the way is the reason for the backfire/popping
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it revs high and pops or cuts out that is the rev limit. Sounds to be you have a clutch problem or wear. Look at the inside sheaves are they dished in where the belt runs or grooved? Take a marker and mark from the center up the sheaves to the top, then run it top speed and check it, did the belt wear the marks off all the way to the top on the primary? If its not shifting you will lose all your speed. I had a stock G9 it would run 28 on dirt drive and 30 on pavement with 22s. Another would run 27 (all gps readings) with the governor all the way in and throttle cable snug but would still idle at starting. Stock engine and clutches.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

I can assume the belt and rear clutch are fine since they are both literally brand new via Plowman, how can I tell if the front clutch is bad?

The throttle definitely fully opens and I even turned in the stop bolt, it 100% closes when I'm off the throttle as well.

Maybe the carb is out of adjustment with the new jets and that's why it's backfiring but it still doesn't explain the total lack of speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha