lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
effinacotton
Not Yet Wild

Default New G1 Owner

My father-in-law gave me his old Yamaha G1 over the weekend. Since then, i have spent several hours reading threads on here from other G1 owners. Lots of info to absorb around here. The cart looks pretty rough, but with a new battery, I had it up and running. I have not checked the year based on the serial number, but will when I go back to the camp this weekend.

I have a few questions for the G1 experts around here:

- The body is cracked in one place. Has anyone here repaired a damaged body? if so, how labor intensive is it?

- Lift kits. It appears that the Jake's lift kits are the only option. Is this the best lift? Are there other options?

- The cart sat up for nearly a year before i got it and seems to be smoking when the engine gets warm. Without burning the muffler, is there anyway to prevent this?

Thank you for your responses, any help is greatly appreciated.
effinacotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
effinacotton
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New G1 Owner

Another question, do they make a block lift for the G1's? I am trying not to sink too much money into this cart right away.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

First, the engine is a 2 stroke, your going to get some smoke no matter what as it has oil mixing in the gas. Is it still running the pump or is it pre mix?

They made many different G1's. some had a plastic front and fiberglass back. Some had fiberglass on both.

Which part of the body has the crack. if it's the fiberglass body then you will have to do some fiberglass repair. Not really that hard to do but can be a bit labor intensive but not bad. If it's the plastic body then I'd look at a good plastic welder. I have one from Snap on tools and it's a good one. But there are many companies sell the one I have. I actually got mine on ebay, but it's a bit over $200 for the one I have.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Welcome, they are great little carts.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
effinacotton
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I will check and see if it is fiberglass or plastic and make the repairs accordingly.

The cart is still running the pump. I know with 2-stroke outboards I've owned, i have disabled the pump and premixed the oil. Is this best for these carts as well?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some say if the pump fails you in trouble so they stop using it. I like the pump though, I'd be inclined to mix a little oil in case it failed or rebuild it. They use very little oil iirc less than 100:1 or such.

What happens is the huge muffler is cold and people do short trips and it fills with oil. You do a long trip or gas on it a lot and muffler gets hot, the oil starts to burn. Best thing is run the snot out of it and make it smoke a lot, after 15 min it should stop because the oil is gone, and it wont do it again until you run it a lot with a cold muffler (short trips) and eventually it will get oil in there again. Sometimes they smoke a lot when they burn out, like a big cloud, and can spark out the exhaust as well, so be careful where you do it lol. Others found the muffler was so old the oil was dried up in there and would not burn out and was plugging the muffler, so they either put it in a bonfire and cook it or they cut the end off and clean it, weld it back shut. Or you can buy a replacement. Or someone may have put a lot of oil in the fuel. Stock injection they hardly smoke at all. If oil in the muffler they will only smoke when hot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
effinacotton
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies. I ran the cart pretty hard last weekend and it seems like i burned the oil out of the muffler, as it is not smoking anymore.

One a side note, the cart will not go in reverse. From what i understand, reverse is the motor working backwards, is that correct? The backup alarm comes on but there is nothing when i press the gas pedal. Any ideas on simple checks?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There is a way to swap the wires on the solenoids, that will tell you if one is bad.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check reverse solenoid first. Check all connections. Look for corrosion and broken wires. Check all fuses also. Invest in a manual, worth it's weight in....well....pennies lol.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah how could I miss that, wire connection issues are very common in old yamaha. But they are cheap to fix.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha