lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Gardiner66
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Post Yamaha G9A Smoking terrible....HELP

I restored this Yamaha g9 gas and started and it smoked for a little bit so I went to change the oil and it looked like gear oil coming out and I put 20-50 back in and OMG the smoke is worse. I pulled the valve cover and when turning over no oil coming through pushrods. my thought is the rings are so bad and bypassing so badly that no pressure for pumping. compression is fine though. ANY suggestions for a NEWBIE?. Thanks in Advance
Gardiner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9A Smoking terrible....HELP

Oil does not get to the top by the pushrods on a yamaha. And your problem is likely the oil rings (while the compression rings are still ok). This is a common issue on the old G2/G9 motors. The best help you can do for yourself is rebuild it & stop trying band-aid fixes like thicker oil (not gonna help, only cause more harm). I know its not the answer you were hoping for, but its the truth.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Gardiner66
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

does the oil come by way of the hoses connected to valve cover?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes the hose goes from the top of the crankcase up the backside of the cylinder to the valve cover
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Gardiner66
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I think it is clogged cause no oil from hoses I will check it out tomorrow and see if hose and check valve are clogged. If oil hose is clogged would it cause back pressure and blow by?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would drain and refill with 1 qt. 10w30 oil,remove and blow out, clean out,the hose.also check hose at front of engine.this is splash lube,and engine pulse to supply oil to the headgood luck and keep us posted
Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner66 View Post
I think it is clogged cause no oil from hoses I will check it out tomorrow and see if hose and check valve are clogged. If oil hose is clogged would it cause back pressure and blow by?
I am not sure if clogged hose will cause back pressure and blow by? But it will definetly cause head and valve train failure. I think that is the only oil supply for the head? Cgtech and many others on here are very knowledgable I'm sure someone while help figure it out
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That is the method of oil supply to the rockers & valvetrain. BUT, it would not cause the huge smoke factor. The block still has another passage at the headgasket in the block, thats how the oil returns to the bottom of the crankcase. The hose from the valve cover to the air box ends up dealing with the blow-by gasses, but the lines on the outside of the engine are not the only way they get there. If the top end area under the valve cover was dry of oil, thats a problem, and its caused by the hoses or valve on the side of the engine (or lack of oil in general, but you already changed it), but its not the likely source of huge amounts of smoke. I have used yamaha ring cleaner stuff to try to solve it, but it only reduced the smoke some on a engine that already smoked tons. That was my "sure i'll loan it to you, it runs great but if it stops smoking that means it needs more oil" cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
Gardiner66
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well I checked the hoses but no blockage but with valve cover off I started motor and no oil came out any hoses but smoke poured out exhaust, I removed head and oil is pooled on top of piston so I wiped it off and turned motor by hand and with each time the piston went down it put more oil on top of piston. Can I replace the rings and piston with standard bore or is it reccomended to have it bored?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Measure things after it is apart
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha