lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
abbycart
Not Yet Wild

Default reverse not working after checking all the obvious problems

I have a 1984 G1 The forward is working, not working in reverse. The solenoid clicks when trying to start, but engine doesn't start. Changed both solenoids already. If I swap the blue & yellow wires to check the solenoids. The motor will start but the cart will not move. The electric motor runs in forward mode and sounds like something is trying to engage but isn't. I check switches, ground wire, ignition switch, connectors, solenoids, etc. all good but still can't get it going. Does the CDI unit control the forward/reverse for the solenoids? Thx for any info.
abbycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: reverse not working after checking all the obvious problems

Is the engine starting and running or just the starter/generator? Typically on these models, if they just will not go into reverse it is a solenoid issue and if I remember correctly, there is three on the back fenderwell which can be swapped around for testing.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Two solenoids on rear fender swap side to side with each other and see if it will start in reverse
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
abbycart
Not Yet Wild

Already checked and changed solenoids, not the problem. Spriddle I'm curious to know where are they hiding the third solenoid? What is the third one for?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

There is only two. I checked. Couldn't remember. Guess I was picturing the solenoid's and voltage regulator all in one area, etc.... Never really messed with G1's that much and been forever too. But, I was hoping to get some others helping in the thread by posting so we can get you up and running.

What about the engine running? Is the engine starting at all (firing up and running) or is it just the starter/generator that is running?

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
abbycart
Not Yet Wild

engine is running fine in forward. Solenoid clicking in reverse, starter/generator and engine not starting. When I swap solenoids around, I get the starter/generator running in forward and engine running and something is trying to engage. The cart will not move. I spoke to a tech at Yamaha today and he thinks it might be the brushes in the starter/generator. Will be checking this next. I have checked everything else. tested switches, etc with meter, everything checked out ok.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
abbycart
Not Yet Wild

just to clarify when I swap solenoids and try reverse it runs in forward (the starter/generator running, engine running but with a clunking noise like something is trying to engage but isn't) and the cart will not move.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well if you have it in reverse and in runs forward there is definitely a wiring issue as for the clunking noise i would start with primary clutch inspection
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #9
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If the engine is "Running" in forward and it won't move then you have more problems than just reverse.

When the engine is running, if the clutches are working correctly, the cart really has no choice buy move, or at least try too, unless the brakes are hanging or something. As for the cart not starting in reverse, it's solenoids (Which you have changed and don't think is the problem) wiring to the starter, or the starter itself. If it's starting in forward when you do get it trying too in reverse then it sounds electrical.

You should first check in the Yamaha section and get the wiring diagram for your cart. Then start tracing every wire that has anything too do with reverse from the ignition (Which also controls forward and reverse) to the starter/generator itself. You also need too start it in forward and see if the clutches are turning and operating correctly as well.

Was the cart working fine and then all of a sudden these problems arose? Or are these problems you inherited when you purchased/obtained the cart?
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
abbycart
Not Yet Wild

ok checked and pulled the starter/generator today. Wire was fried. Took a quick look and the internals look pretty worn. Going to replace it, was going to have it rebuilt but found out today that a great place near me with great prices is out of business. I found new one online for $130.00, does anybody knows of a place where I can find a better deal?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha