lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Groundedracer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 predator 420cc swap questions

I have a G16 cart, and the engine threw a rod and snapped the cam I'm half. For the cost to repair the engine myself I could just buy a $300 predator engine. So I am going this route. I picked up the new eine yesterday at a hf tent sale.
I know have to make my own motor mount and fab up a bracket for the starter generator.
I can do that.
Looks like I will need an adaptor for the the clutch. Which one is the right one?
Do I need to put a different exhaust on?
Want to tackle this next week.
My names Mike Thanks fr any help
Groundedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Groundedracer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 predator 420cc swap questions

Here is a picture of my cart and race car. The cart comes in handy for the long days at the track it's been out of commission. Too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11219652_872268322857078_3957744244450229023_n.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150925_183711.jpg (209.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150925_183608.jpg (207.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW
If the engine you bought is the 13 to 16 hp clone it should have a 1 inch strait shaft
You can buy the adapter at one of the site sponcers like Vegas carts, CPP
Get one for a 1 inch shaft they sell alluminum and steel versions I've only used steel and have had good luck with them
For your exhaust I just did a g2 I made backets that went on the rear axel and bolted the stock Yamaha exhaust to it.
Then I used some 1 inch hardware store pipe and 90, 45s and adapted it to the muffler. I also put in a 4 inch long 1.5 inch diameter flex coupler
Good luck on your build!
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There are many build threads in the Big Block/Clone Engine Swaps section Here!

My suggestion is too pull the engine out of the cart and then start reading thru the threads on the swap. There are many good ones and you can glean a lot of information from the reading.

You don't have to follow any one thread completely. You can take bits and pieces that fit your situation, skill level and tool selection. The swap is more time consuming than technical.

Good luck with your build. Feel free to ask questions along the way as there are many helpful people here. While questions are encouraged and usually answered quickly there is some trial and error on your part and you can't expect to get answers too every question as it's all part of learning and making the cart your own. Sometimes advice is much better than answers. (If that makes sense)

Also, people are much more eager to give answers and help if you post plenty of pictures as your build/swap goes along. We all love seeing a plan come together.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Groundedracer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The engine is out. I pulled it a few weeks ago, to see why it stopped running. I'll guess I'll start with making a new engine mount first
Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You can make the new mount and if you have much lift you could drop the front of the swing arm at the same time to level the swing arm more.

You can also figure out which wiring your going to need/not need and remove and clean up the engine compartment as well.

When it comes to exhaust there are many choices based on how loud you can stand/want it as well as how much room you have and where it will be located.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Groundedracer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So old motor is out. I made a custom motor mount that lifshe the rear of the engine up 2.5 inches to level it out. It fits nicely. I'm going to have to get a larger belt, but thats no problem.

I also just received the adapter for the clutch.
It came with no instructions. How far did you guys drill?
How much did you cut off? And did you put the washers on first? It came with 2. I'm assuming the 2 washers then the adapter then clutch?

Next what did you guys do for cables? Throttle. Just go to parts store?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160626_122213.jpg (196.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If possible, use the stock cable from the gas pedal.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundedracer View Post
So old motor is out. I made a custom motor mount that lifshe the rear of the engine up 2.5 inches to level it out. It fits nicely. I'm going to have to get a larger belt, but thats no problem.

I also just received the adapter for the clutch.
It came with no instructions. How far did you guys drill?
How much did you cut off? And did you put the washers on first? It came with 2. I'm assuming the 2 washers then the adapter then clutch?

Next what did you guys do for cables? Throttle. Just go to parts store?
You can click on to the vegascarts sponsor site from here and click on the g16 and up swap and see their installation guide that answers many questions and has pics
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
Groundedracer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There really isn't any info there. I didn't buy their kit, so no help. Hasn't really been much help on here at all. Has anyone actually done a swap all by them selves yet? Seem like lots of starts but no finishes. My engine is in just a few questions, but all I get is look her or there, the places I'm told to look aren't even close
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha