lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Thorholt
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 Bogs with aircleaner installed, video

Hello Everyone,
I have a problem with my G2 bogging when trying to go at wot, If I pull the chock out it takes off good but then when I push the chock in it starts to lose power again, Running lean, new sparkplug is white not fouled black, The compression is 160 valves are adjusted to I think .006 new filter, fuel pump puts out way more fuel then the engine can burn,
I have had the carb apart several times and it is totally clean, I have the small bit set to make sure all the jets are clean including the air bleeds, I cannot see anything wrong with the carb.
Here is the strange part, If I leave the air cleaner off the engine it runs great, good power etc. So I thought it might be something with the filter being restrictive but that should cause a rich condition not a lean one, so I removed the filter from the top housing, the bottom housing is also off at this point, it still runs lean, so I remove the "S" shaped hose from the housing and slide that on the carb, it still is running lean but if I remove that rubber hose while it is running and struggling to build up rpm's it snaps right out of it and revs right up like it should, I am kind of lost on what might be causing this, Pulses from a intake valve bouncing off the curved hose causing the carb not to draw fuel from the venturi? Any Ideas? Thanks!

Added a video showing how it acts, rechecked valve adjustment and they are set correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLDz-E0O24
Thorholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Bogs with aircleaner installed, video

Have you had the insulator block off? Its not winding up properly even with the air hose off. I have a worn out G2 that smokes so bad and it winds right up. Sounds from what your saying about running better with the choke on --- you have a vacuum leak on the manifold. The white spark plug is another sign of a manifold leak. When I replaced my carb insulator -- the screws were very easy to remove. They should have been tighter.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Thorholt
Not Yet Wild

I took it off to look and it was tight, checked for leaks when done with carb spray and all is good, also checked timing with a light to make sure it was advancing as engine speeds up and it is advancing 20-30 degrees, I bought this cart and someone had took the body off to paint and lost interest so I put it back together but the engine was never apart, so not sure if this problem was there before or not.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Teel18t
Not Yet Wild

I'm following, my g1 runs perfect with open carb, but I have to choke it with air box on.. played with the mixture screw trying to get more fuel, new crank seals, cleaned carb, checked to see if it was sucking air, around carb boot. Idk what the heck is going on.. on here now looking for OE mixture screw setting.
Teel18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Thorholt
Not Yet Wild

Well It looks like it is fixed, I am not sure why it ran like it did with just the air cleaner pipe on it but what fixed it was installing the air cleaner and fixing the hole in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, The cart must be designed so the air cleaner causes slight restriction on intake air and slightly "Chocks" the engine all the time, It runs normal with the air cleaner on and repaired, Strange..
Thanks for the help and ideas from all that helped!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Keep track of your spark plug. It should run tan - dark brown to be proper. Black and sooty shows over fueling and WHITE is lean which burns holes in pistons.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Yamaha designed the cart to run perfectly in the factory condition. When you make changes to the filter housing to allow more air--by drilling a hole in the housing or even a poor fitting cover--you will need more fuel (or less air) to compensate for the increased air. Choking it reduces the air that was increased by the hole in the housing. Make sense?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Thorholt
Not Yet Wild

Yes it does make sense but I have never seen a small engine calibrated that close, usually they run plenty rich.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha