lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
karen223
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 cylinder head assembly

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to hearing your suggestions and possibly helping if I can. So hello!!! 😊
I bought a 1987 Yamaha G2 cart for $200 with the intention of fixing it up! I've done some mechanical work on cars. I am in the process of taking the engine apart so I can put in new seals, piston, etc. I took off the cylinder head cover and cylinder head assembly. Both were very dirty and had a lot of build up on them. I used engine cleaner and that has worked. A couple questions...first, when cleaning the assembly I got engine cleaner inside the head. Is that a problem? Can I clean that area out without disturbing the valves? Second, well maybe third! Can I just put the head cover back on and reattach the assembly without having to adjust the valves? I'm going to attempt to attach a picture.
Thanks!!!
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.5 KB, 0 views)
karen223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 cylinder head assembly

If, your tearing it apart to redo piston/rings/seals, you have to take the head off anyway. Great time to decarbon the combustion chamber and valves. Alot of times a simple "lapping" of the valves and seats is all that is needed. Might want to install a new intake valve stem seal while you at it. A new head gasket, torque the cylinder head bolts to 20 ft lbs and readjust the valves to .004 when the engine is cold (both intake and exhaust). Any job worth doing is worth doing right Good luck on your build and welcome to BGW.....It's the best!!!!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
karen223
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 cylinder head assembly

Thanks for the info and welcome! Doing the cylinder is new to me so please bear with me! In order to clean the cylinder assembly am I taking out the rocker arms, etc. and then putting them back in? Or leaving them in and cleaning them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.5 KB, 0 views)
karen223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha