lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car ds (getting more speed$

Hey guys!
Trying to make my 92 Ds a bit faster. Messed around for hrs today without much luck.

Clutch’s seem to be working smoothly,belt 1/4” from top of sheaves wide open

Valves .004

Adjust gas pedal rod

So first I turned up the gov by turning the shaft clockwise all the way and pulling linkage all the way back. Bumps off rev limiter at 13mph, same as stock speed at 3600 rpm,

I then unhook rev limiter and kept my rpms around 4200 by feathering the throttle . Could only hit about 15mph at that rpm.

I then went back to stock gov adjustment and hooked up rev box again. Adjusted throttle cable all the way loose at black box then all the way tight. Not much difference with this either. If all the way loose it would hit rev limiter at 14 mph.... adjusted tight it would be 13 mph at 3600ish rpm,

What the heck am I doing wrong, I hear of guys running upper teens to 20 mph.

I’d love to be at 17-18 mph with locked in rpms under 4200. Is this not possible?

Thanks so much for any help.
Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club car ds (getting more speed$

Lift kit and bigger tires helps a ton. I dont see getting a 290 powered DS to 20mph on stock tires, at least not easily.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

My '07 XRT800 does 23mph STOCK, according to radar, why over rev these small engines and shorten their life for a couple MPH?
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post
My '07 XRT800 does 23mph STOCK, according to radar, why over rev these small engines and shorten their life for a couple MPH?
Comparing an FE-powered xrt800 to a 1992 club car DS with a KF82 is apples to oranges.

20" tires should fit stock height and would get you around 1515-16mph and not rev the engine to the moon. 22" would get you around 18-19mph.

You have to remember that's almost a 30 year old engine. Shes old and tired and if you push it too hard/rev too high it's not going to end well.

Just my opinion anyway. I'll take a happy engine that's comfortably in a lower rpm zone and little less torque to get more top end over an engine screaming any day. Mechanical advantage is a good thing :)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

I understand it’s old and it’s a golf car... was just hoping to get a bit more out of it and still keep it on the safer side. If I could of picked up 2mph would of been great

I have new tires and wheels coming but they’re 12” with the lower profile tires. Needs to fit in the toy hauler with dirt bikes so I didn’t want to make it any bigger

Just thought I maybe missed a combination of settings that work well.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post

Same with all my toys, everyone is moded is some type of way for more performance and speed lol. If it breaks fix it. Just thought I could easily get a bit more and still keep it safe. (Just thought it was odd at 4200 rpm Im not picking up much speed)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

I also notice my belt is 1016203 =37.5". Is that right or should it have the 1"x31.5" belt?

Yr 1992
Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Comparing an FE-powered xrt800 to a 1992 club car DS with a KF82 is apples to oranges.
If you have a KF82 then your cart is either not a '92 or it's a '92 with a motor transplant. 1991 was the final year for the KF82.

I agree with CP241, larger diameter wheels will get you a higher top speed, but you will lose a little on the low end. I've had my '87 on 22.5" tires up to 22mph according to my iPhone's GPS.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

My fault, I though the KF82 went until 92. Either way the rest still applies... it's nearly a 30 year old golf cart. It's old and tired. Tires, clutches, and etc. can help. But as for an easy governor adjustment, club cars just aren't as easy as screwing in a bolt like some of the others. Takes a lot of playing with the throttle and governor linkages to get them "just right" so they'll run out faster, but not bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
My fault, I though the KF82 went until 92. Either way the rest still applies... it's nearly a 30 year old golf cart. It's old and tired. Tires, clutches, and etc. can help. But as for an easy governor adjustment, club cars just aren't as easy as screwing in a bolt like some of the others. Takes a lot of playing with the throttle and governor linkages to get them "just right" so they'll run out faster, but not bounce off the rev limiter.

Ok not really what I wanted to hear lol, guess I will start ordering parts.

Do you know what compression should be? Im going to check that tonight and do a leak down test to see "how tired" it is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car