lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club car ds (getting more speed$

On a FE290, picture perfect should be around 160-170psi. Once you get below around 150psi it's going to start losing performance.

The good thing is that it runs, and if it doesn't smoke the cylinder walls are probably in pretty good shape. Nothing a refresh with a hone and some new rings wouldn't fix. The FE290 is a very easy motor to work on, and very reliable. They'll make plenty of power to move a cart along just fine... I had a John Deere Gator I bought with a blown motor, with a Fe290 and it would still do nearly 20mph (after i rebuild the motor of course). Took it FOREVER to get there but it would ride out just fine lol. And that Gator easily weighed 2x or 3x more than a golf cart... But the transmission on that thing was as big as the motor lol. So obviously gearing was completely different than a DS, but still the 290 moved that gator around just fine.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

RPMs = speed. speed is not greatly affected by engine compression as long as the engine can run X number of RPM with the clutches at full ratio.

Your Belt may be worn out, or too long so it's not pulling down into the secondary clutch all the way. It needs to be all the way to top of the primary, AND all the way to the bottom of the secondary to get full speed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
RPMs = speed. speed is not greatly affected by engine compression as long as the engine can run X number of RPM with the clutches at full ratio.

Your Belt may be worn out, or too long so it's not pulling down into the secondary clutch all the way. It needs to be all the way to top of the primary, AND all the way to the bottom of the secondary to get full speed.
I tried running it at 4200 rpm and didn't notice much speed increase... Belt is riding about 1/4" from the top on the drive clutch and looks to be going all the way down on the driven . Belt is 1016203 37.5"
Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It pretty much has to be a clutch problem or the belt is worn out, unless someone swapped the whole rear axle. We have a 93 that I unhooked the rev limiter on because it failed and it would roll 20+ easy on flat ground. I adjusted the governor back so it would only do about 12 tops. Totally stock.
I forget which belt I had put on that one. Thinking it was the 1016203 but I can check.
I run the 1017188 on pretty much everything I have here.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
Schmitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It pretty much has to be a clutch problem or the belt is worn out, unless someone swapped the whole rear axle. We have a 93 that I unhooked the rev limiter on because it failed and it would roll 20+ easy on flat ground. I adjusted the governor back so it would only do about 12 tops. Totally stock.
I forget which belt I had put on that one. Thinking it was the 1016203 but I can check.
I run the 1017188 on pretty much everything I have here.
Belt looks pretty new, (smooth style though)

Wonder if I should order a new drive clutch? Sheaves have a small amount of waveyness from what I see. Seemed to really slow up going up grade. My wife, me, and 2.5 year old.
Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
My fault, I though the KF82 went until 92. Either way the rest still applies... it's nearly a 30 year old golf cart. It's old and tired. Tires, clutches, and etc. can help. But as for an easy governor adjustment, club cars just aren't as easy as screwing in a bolt like some of the others. Takes a lot of playing with the throttle and governor linkages to get them "just right" so they'll run out faster, but not bounce off the rev limiter.
I guess I thought I was responding to the original poster...lol. The governor adjustment on the KF82 flathead is simple and easy to disable...simple enough that speed-hungry golfers renting carts at golf courses through the 1980s and early '90s were able to unhook them in 3 minutes...which is why they made governor disconnection more difficult and complicated on the FE290 OHV carts from 1992+.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #17
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I guess I thought I was responding to the original poster...lol. The governor adjustment on the KF82 flathead is simple and easy to disable...simple enough that speed-hungry golfers renting carts at golf courses through the 1980s and early '90s were able to unhook them in 3 minutes...which is why they made governor disconnection more difficult and complicated on the FE290 OHV carts from 1992+.

You need the severe duty drive belt from cart parts plus.If that still isn't enough get the bigger carb jet and take some baffles out of the air box.My 92 fe 290 has been running 27mph for 4 years.
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car