lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Turns over but won't fire

I ordered a more expensive coil with good reviews but I can't say for sure its OEM.

But the problem persists. I did see spark, but not much...maybe 3 sparks in a minute or more of cranking.

Is there something else I can check or replace between the key and the coil? Should I replace some or all the microswitches?
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I also disconnected the rev limiter and still no spark.

What are the odds the new coil wouldn't work out of the box? I would guess those odds are lower than the odds I haven't found the real problem yet...
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I tested the micro switches, they seem ok.

The new coil tests 1.2 ohm one way and 8.04 the other way.

I've tried to moisten all the connections with my tears, but that hasn't helped either.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did 96 have an igniter? I didn't think about that before, but now I'm thinking it probably does.

Remove the rev limiter box and look on the bracket behind it for a small silver box with one wire spade connector on it. If it has that, that's the igniter for the coil and that is probably what has failed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree about the ignitor. I just had the same problem and a new ignitor fixed it. Kinda pricy for a little box, 70 bucks. Be sure to bolt your rev limiter back up before you try it.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I decided it had to be the coil (even though it was new). I went and bought a Kawasaki coil and installed it. FIRED with a blue spark like i've never seen!

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I owe your pointers to me getting it fixed. I was sure cussing the darn thing after I put the first new coil on and didn't get any spark. I went through all the microswitches and verified they worked. I tested one suspect ground wire and it worked. I tried ohm readings on the coils and that was fruitless...so I just knew it had to be that cheap ($50 coil). So I spent triple and got the Kawasaki.

Thanks everybody!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlb7928 View Post
I decided it had to be the coil (even though it was new). I went and bought a Kawasaki coil and installed it. FIRED with a blue spark like i've never seen!

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I owe your pointers to me getting it fixed. I was sure cussing the darn thing after I put the first new coil on and didn't get any spark. I went through all the microswitches and verified they worked. I tested one suspect ground wire and it worked. I tried ohm readings on the coils and that was fruitless...so I just knew it had to be that cheap ($50 coil). So I spent triple and got the Kawasaki.

Thanks everybody!

Weve all been there and had to learn the OEM is better lesson the hard way. I'm all about saving a buck but sometimes it just doesnt work out that way!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car