lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
JeffLowry
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car FE400, year 2011 motor, smokes at idle after warmed up.

Hello y’all this my first post and incidentally my first golf cart I’ve ever owned. I purchased for my wife as a property get around work vehicle, it has the dump style bed on it which is perfect for her gardening.
I bought it about two months back, it ran perfect when we test drove it on the sellers property. We loaded it on a tilt trailer stopped and got fuel before unloading it at our property. It has just over 1200 hours and is the Kawasaki FE400.
When we unloaded it and ran it around the property it started to run badly then started to smoke.
First thing I did was put it in the barn. I changed the oil which had gas in the crankcase and oil filter, put in a new spark plug, checked the air filter, still good. Changed both fuel filters and pulled and cleaned out the carburetor.
Started it up runs great until warm and then starts smoking and goes to idling bad and shuts down unless reved up. I Pulled plug, shows wet, I thought it might be running too rich, but there is no way to adjust jet screws, I ordered a new carb and put it on, it still does the same thing.
I plan to check compression next, but the confusing thing for me is why it is even having this issue at all, the hours seem low for a well maintained engine. It doesn’t knock or make any mechanical noise that would alert me to rings, bearings or valve issues.
I’ve read that crankcase ventilation may be a clogged tube?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
JeffLowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car FE400, year 2011 motor, smokes at idle after warmed up.

If the oil is overfilled, it will smoke.

if the carb needle is not seating, it will flood into the cylinder, seep past the rings, and into the crank case, causing it to be overfilled with oil, and causing it to smoke.

Stay away from chinese $20 carbs. If you must replace the carb only get an OEM carb. Call david hicks at revolution golf cars (site sponsor) and he can get you the correct carb. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/ But 99% of the time the carb just needs to be cleaned. Take it apart, clean it really really well, especially the float valve/needle/seat.

replace the fuel lines, and put a fuel filter inline on the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carburetor. this will help prevent dirt from making the needle stick open. it only takes a tiny grain of dirt or sand to make the needle stick open, and flood the engine.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
JeffLowry
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi CP241

Thank you for responding as I stated I already did the cleaning of the old carb and since replaced it, I don’t know about any $20 carbs for the FE400 or I may have been tempted to buy one of those. But my replacement carb was $380, I don’t think the issue is the carb at this point.

I do intend to pull the fuel tank and clean it because I see trash in the bottom but with the new filters in place I would think those would at least stop any large debris from getting to the carb.

Anyway the fuel lines are next on the list. I will just keep plugging away until something works.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the pulse line from the engine case to the fuel pump. If the pump diaphragm has failed that line will leak fuel directly into the crankcase and fill it right up.

Second would be to make sure the engine can breathe. Inspect the air filter housing, and the inlet tubing for obstructions. Also some carts have a large intake tube that runs under the floor, if yours has that, make sure that is not crushed or otherwise obstructed with mud, debris, or mouse/rodent nest.

Third is fuel system vent lines. The vent line from the fuel tank needs to be clear or pressure can build in the fuel tank and force fuel in through the carb. It should run down the side and go through a hole in the frame somewhere below the tank. Make sure it doesn't have any dirt or bugs in the end.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Understood, but you're probably getting gasoline into the crankcase is by the carb flooding. I'd start by cleaning out the needle and seat really well, and replacing all of the fuel lines, and put a new filter in between the fuel pump and the carb.

I've been down that road before on my kids 4wheeler. I must have cleaned that carb about 6 or 7 times before I realized the fuel line was deteriorating and had dirt in it, and that kept interfering with the needle/seat. I replaced the fuel line and never had an issue with it again. They are actually outside riding it right now, i hear it buzz past the window every few minutes lol
Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Understood, but you're probably getting gasoline into the crankcase is by the carb flooding. l
When the fuel pump diaphragm ruptures it leaks fuel directly into the crankcase through the pulse hose. Not through the carb.

I wouldn't totally rule out debris making the float needle stick open, but that's less likely with new filters and a brand new carb on it.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
JeffLowry
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello FairTax...like that handle by the way,

I suspect you may be on to something. Reason I think this is because when I loaded the cart on my tilt trailer it was a pretty steep incline angle, around 30-40 degree angle. Also off loading and it still makes me wonder if that somehow flooded the fuel pump which on this model is mounted on the wall between the fuel cell compartment and the engine bay at the same level as the top of the fuel cell. If it were at that steep of an incline it may very well have flooded and compromised the diaphragm of the pump. I will pull the pulse line at the bottom of the engine to see if there is any backflow there...if that’s the case i know the pumps are pretty inexpensive and a easy item to replace.

I will still do as CP241 suggested and replace fuel lines they aren’t particularly expensive.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Most of the time if the diaphragm splits just due to age. But if it has had ethanol fuel in it at any point in the past that can have a detrimental effect on the pump as well. It's an easy check, just pull the pulse line off and see if gas drips from the pump or from the hose.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
When the fuel pump diaphragm ruptures it leaks fuel directly into the crankcase through the pulse hose. Not through the carb.

I wouldn't totally rule out debris making the float needle stick open, but that's less likely with new filters and a brand new carb on it.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it because in mine, the fuel pump is mounted quite high so it hadn't crossed my mind.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Doesn't matter where its mounted. If the diaphragm splits the engine will suck fuel through the diaphragm. It can siphon fuel through the hose and fill the crankcase right up to the same level as the tank.
Usually it just pulls fuel in while the engine is running, but that can mean it pulls in 1/4-1/2 gallon of fuel in a matter of a few minutes.

Tags
beverage cart carry all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car