lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Does your club car sound like a lawnmower?

Theres a lot of talk about counterbalance weight link rods and when they go south, usually ends up with a hole somewhere in the motor case. Just thought I would upload a video showing the noise, and then show you the play in the link rod on the crankshaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDq5zRqqIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLDb8Lo8go4
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Does your club car sound like a lawnmower?

I've had them run like crap, or not at all, but never had one sound like that.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I’m pretty sure that’s how mine sounds. What’s the next step? Is this something I can repair myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanrick View Post
Ok so I’m pretty sure that’s how mine sounds. What’s the next step? Is this something I can repair myself?

That would depend on your personal mechanical ability and tool set. You've got 2 options... either way you'll need a shop press or need to be creative. The rear link rod slides right off, no problem. The link behind the timing gear is a little more tricky, you'll need to press the timing gear off to remove that link rod. There is a special tool to place under the timing gear that's about $40 (club car part # 1016418.) or you can be creative and make one. It's just a plate to go under the gear so you're not pressing directly on the gear itself.

Once you get the link rods off you have your 2 options. you can purchase new link rods (part number 1016516) and bearings (part number 1016580). Or just remove the counterbalance weight all together, press the timing gear back on and roll with it that way.

I had a gator with a FE290 doing the same thing. I just removed the CB weight and went on with life. down side of removing it is there is a little more engine vibration, particularly at low rpm/idle but honestly it's not too noticeable. Up side to removing it is you will never have to worry about that weight coming apart and destroying the motor. At high RPM this is the most common failure point in an otherwise nearly bulletproof motor.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

A video, or photos of the counter balance delete process would be great. Do you know of any?

Old 10-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanrick View Post
A video, or photos of the counter balance delete process would be great. Do you know of any?

Not off hand, but I havent really searched either. I can take some pictures of this one when I do it and post it here :)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

That would be great. Also, do you think there’s any way to safely cut the counter weight off the crank shaft? That would eliminate the need for a press and special tool.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe, if you're creative with a dremel. Ita kind of a tight squeeze between there but if you're careful you could maybe use a small burr grinder on 2 points in the middle of the link rod and cut it off that way?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Hmm. Something to think about. Thanks for the info. I’m good with tools, just never tore down an engine with intentions to rebuild it before. I feel quite confident I can do it though. Just would be nice to have some instructions or tutorials to fall back on. Any ideas for those?

Old 10-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...-Gasoline.html

That's 95-96 but not much changed over the years on the DS. I'm sure the others are out there, this is just the first one I found :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car