lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
SeanSully
Not Yet Wild

Default CC carryall wont go into gear

I have a pre ‘91 carryall. It used to switch gears now it’s grinding fwd and reverse. I drained and changed the gear oil. Didnt see any noticeable shavings in old fluid. Disconnected shift linkage, and manually shifted the arm, still grinds. It was sticking in gear, and would break loose when id jack it up and slam from fwd to reverse. This cart has been modified, so im not sure if any of the trans is original to the chassis. From the research ive been doing the syncro ring(?), is bad or stuck. Just trying to exhaust all possibilities before i open it up. Got a few pics of my setup. P.S. I didn’t build this. Deal was to good to pass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA411200-1726-4FF5-8BDC-7F02BDB378CD.jpg (23.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 17726918-1BAA-4307-8FAB-172188D8CA1A.jpg (22.8 KB, 0 views)
SeanSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: CC carryall wont go into gear

Did you drain the axle fluid or the transmission fluid? They're separate on those. The transmission fluid plugs are on the passenger side of the transmission housing.

That could be caused by bad bearings, or by a worn or sticking synchro collar, or a worn shift fork, or toasted fluid if it's never been changed before.

Those older transmissions are usually pretty easy to open up. Parts are hard to come by so hopefully it's nothing major.
Remove the driven clutch and cables from the trans. The transmission housing bolts to the axle with 4 bolts, remove those and then you "should" be able to unbolt it and slide it off (I say should because it might be rusted stuck on there) so you can just pop the trans out without having to remove the entire axle from the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
SeanSully
Not Yet Wild

I did change both fluids yesterday. Still not going into gear. Im trying to find parts currently. Im trying to reach Bruce from cartparts right now. Im going to put nee linkage on as well. Ive never worked on trans before. Little intimidating honestly.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
SeanSully
Not Yet Wild

Spoke with Bruce. He feels that gear box is the issue. Recommend taking it off and cleaning everything good. If its a mess, hes got good used ones for a pretty good price. Gonna give it a go, fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Carry-All
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good morning Gents

I am a new member and have a 2006 Carry-All is that the same on my cart? I would need to change both sides of the transaxle?
Carry-All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry-All View Post
Good morning Gents

I am a new member and have a 2006 Carry-All is that the same on my cart? I would need to change both sides of the transaxle?
No, the 2006 will have a completely different transaxle. You will need to remove the entire rear axle from the cart. Then remove both axle tubes, and you can split it open. Much more involved of a process than the old style where the gear box can be removed separate from everything else.

I recently removed mine in my 92 for an oil leak. I had the gearbox on my workbench in less than 15 minutes.

I also replaced the entire rear end in my 2002 DS.a couple months ago. Took me a few hours to swap the entire rear axle (complete from brake hub to brake hub). Still not "bad" but obviously a lot more involved than just removing 4 bolts and sliding off the gearbox. It would be easier in a carryall where you're not trying to work through a little service hole, but still kind of a hassle.

If you have a carryall 272 all that's out the window, I believe those are different entirely.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Carry-All
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks
Carry-All is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car