lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is your 2-stroke BACKFIRING? This could help ...

amen,,made my cart a new cart no more kapow pow pow,,

best fast fix so far,,thanks
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick question....I bought a new carb recently, and tried my hand at mating the old cable to the new carb. In doing this, I wanted to make sure that I made this adjustment to prevent backfiring when I try to start this for the first time. The old spring was in terrible shape, not to mention it was quite large. I replaced it with a smaller spring, which felt like it was even a bit too strong (or had a bit too much tension), but it was a much better fit than the old spring. I had problems getting the throttle arm to stay put until after I heard the microswitch click. I noticed that the tighter I adjusted the cable, the closer I was getting to having it correct. It seemed odd though, because I didn't think the cable needed to be under a lot of tension. I pulled on the end of the cable with pliars, just to get rid of any slack in the cable.. then SNAP. I assumed the cable had snapped, but found that it was actually the plastic sleeves that attach to the pedal arm. By applying that amount of tension, I had forced the plastic sleeves together to the point that they broke under the pressure. The cable was in pretty rough shape and was badly frayed, so I just ordered a whole new cable. My question: Was I doing this correctly, or headed in the right direction? I didn't put much force on the cable, so I'm assuming that the plastic sleeves were just old and brittle. However, I don't want to break the new cable setup in the same manner. And I still don't believe the cable has to be under any additional tension beyond the throttle arm spring on the carb. Am I correct? I am assuming that I am needing to hold the throttle wide open when making this adjustment.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The way I do it when I have to pull the carb or whatever and need to reset the cable (with the ignition off) is to floor it and then feed the cable through the carb arm (which should be hanging wide open without the cable attached) then slide the spring and stop onto the cable and then slide it all together so there is no tension on the spring at all, but no real slack to speak of either. Tighten down the stop and you should be fine.

If after doing this You find the microswitch engages too late, then it's time to go ahead and adjust the switch itself - once you find the sweet spot on both you'll be good to go with the microswitch anytime you have to pull the carb to clean the jets, etc (which during dusty summers I find myself doing at least monthly)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

bcm the thread you did should be a sticky..i was trying to help someone yesterday and couldnt find it even when i searched your threads,,weird..

anyhow,,i did just as brew said and my cart still runs top notch afterwards..prob the best fix for me to date
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am doing a rebuild right on, and this is some good info! cuz my springy thingy was on the wrong side.
Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghall View Post
I am doing a rebuild right on, and this is some good info! cuz my springy thingy was on the wrong side.
Ya mine also. Too bad that when I pulled it apart, I saw that the cable was all buggerd up!!
s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
If after doing this You find the microswitch engages too late, then it's time to go ahead and adjust the switch itself - once you find the sweet spot on both you'll be good to go with the microswitch anytime you have to pull the carb to clean the jets, etc (which during dusty summers I find myself doing at least monthly)
My stupidity never ceases to amaze me. I totally forgot that I am able to adjust the microswitch. Thanks for the good info Brew. I'll be doing this *properly* with the new cable.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

(never admit You read this here)

*Sometimes* the best adjustment is a pair of needlenose pliers, a good eye, a clear head, some logic, and a "tweak" or two of the arm on the microswitch .... The factory allows basically *zero* adjustment of the switch position, but the good news is that the spring steel arm on the micro is relatively forgiving, even with several attempts at finding the "sweet spot" ... It's like a lot of things with these old Marathons, You spend the $8 PRIOR to trying to make do with what you have, just in case you need to replace it because somehow it ended up unsalvageable - THAT way You're covered however it shakes down.

You can look at these things like Tech School or like University - Either way it's a learning experience. One way will teach You step by step how to figure it all out and by the time You're done, You "Get it" - University will just throw a bunch of new parts in your lap, it'll cost You a bundle but eventually You'll get it done. Either way it's a Job worth being proud of - it all depends on how much You want to get out of it, and what You're willing to devote, "Hands On" time or "Money and Time".

I have a BS degree (go figure) and the step-kid pi**ed me off tonight so that explains the rant - but the analogy stands. If you don't have $8 and a bit of patience, this is the wrong hobby. BUT - on the upside, it's not some whacked-out restoration that's going to set You back thousands, or generally even hundreds (well, maybe) so do yourself a favor, and focus less on attaching every individual part and more on how they "fit in".

There goes my "Sticky", hahahahahahahahaha
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

yeah, sorry about that, LOL (it came fully loaded with a disclaimer though, so no harm no fault, right?)

Been a long month or so, heh heh heh
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO