lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
carguy32553
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Put my 80 EZGO back together and when I turn the key...nothing.

I did not disconnect any wiring stuff, but did paint the engine compartment and some shims on the forward/reverse thingy (I just can't resist using "thingy" when I don't know the correct terminology. Sorry. I am wondering if I have interrupted a ground by painting. I'm so lost and I have a car show on Sunday. Just shoot me.
carguy32553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Put my 80 EZGO back together and when I turn the key...nothing.

OK Carguy, let's fix this thing. Have you got a multimeter? If not get yourself to Walmart or Radio Shack and get a cheapy.

Now measure across the battery and make sure you are getting 12 ish volts.
Leave the red meter lead on the positive of the battery and place the black lead on any clean part of the chassis, still getting 12 volts? Now place the black lead on the engine block, still getting 12 volts? If all this is good let's move on.

Get the back wheels off the ground or remove the drive belt, so if it starts it doesn't run over your wife / kid / garden gnome.

Now locate the solenoid and look for the two small studs. One will have a bunch of colored wires on it and the other a bunch of black wires. Connect your black meter lead to the black wires and the red to the coloreds. Now turn on the key and depress the throttle. Do you see 12 volts? If not stop and report back. If yes then :

Connect the black wire of your meter to the negative on the battery. Connect the red wire to any of the two big connectors on the solenoid. Do you see 12 volts? If so move the probe to the other terminal where you will see zero volts. With the key still on depress the throttle and the multimeter should jump to 12 volts.

We have now tested the low current and the solenoid. Your answers to the questions above determine where we go next.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did a complete repaint on my 79 and I had a bad ground at the solenoid bracket. It wouldn't do anything either. It was so bad that the key itself was lighting up my test light. Make sure its bare metal at all the grounds.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
carguy32553
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave,
I did the test and failed at the point where I used the multimeter between the two small studs on the solenoid. I checked all connections including at the accelerator switch. I cleaned all ground points to bare metal. Battery is good. The wiring does not look like the diagram available on the forum. Some wires are reversed. I tried going by the diagram to no avail. Thus endth my report. Awaiting further instruct. By the way, the solenoid looks fairly new. Previous owner did some pretty outrageous wiring for other things like a stereo and haedlamps, tail, etc. I may have to just start from scratch on those.
Maerk
Old 06-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy32553 View Post
I did not disconnect any wiring stuff, but did paint the engine compartment and some shims on the forward/reverse thingy (I just can't resist using "thingy" when I don't know the correct terminology. Sorry. I am wondering if I have interrupted a ground by painting. I'm so lost and I have a car show on Sunday. Just shoot me.
You may have covered the contacts on the F - R switch with paint. Disconnect your battery and scrape off the paint on the contacts. Give this a try and post back.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

OK that is fine, now we need to find out if the ground to the solenoid is missing or the 12 volts.
With the key off and your multimeter set to ohms connect one lead to the negative of the battery. One small connector should have some black grounds on it, connect the other meter lead here and you should see zero or close to zero ohms. If you do switch the meter back to 12 volts and connect it to the other small stud on the solenoid (leaving the other lead still on the battery negative). Turn on the key and depress the throttle. Do you see 12 volts?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
carguy32553
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the thing apart and sanded everything down to virgin metal. I also tossed he dice and am going to replace the solenoid. I did not like the readings I was getting and I had already verified grounds. As Fred Flintstone might say, "Ravvle fravvle cravvle ravvits!".
Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
carguy32553
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

y biggest problem is that I don't have a reliable wiring diagram. The one I DO have shows differences in wire placement from what is on my cart. So, I don't know if it is wired correctly even though it ran before I cleaned it and I haven't disconnected the wires or changed their config. I went around and cleaned any place I thought to be a ground. I am stumped.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
carguy32553
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If someone could post a decent wiring diagram for a early 80s gas EZGO, I would be eternally grateful. I am clueless at this point.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This is the standard on the 2PG and early 3PG (roughly 1982-ish to 1989) - it's one of the more common diagrams floating around, and even if you have a cart with a slightly different wiring layout, as long as it's a cart with an ignitor and pulsar (as versus the EARLY carts that still had points, etc) then the components are the same and this diagram DOES work, and works well

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO