lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
austin84ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 marathon carb problem

I purchased an 84 Marathon early this spring, it didn't run and the seller had the carburator cleaned and put a new battery in the cart and it initially ran fine. I had it at my camper at a resort, so it was used every couple of weeks. As time went by, it became increasingly harder to keep the engine running and getting it up to the necessary RPM'S to engage the centrifcal clutch to get it to go forward or backwards. I had to manually pull the choke knob out and hold it there to keep the engine running and accelerating to the proper RPM'S. Eventually, I had to pull the choke almost all the way out to keep the engine running and by the end of summer, even with the choke pulled all the way out, the engine wont develope enought RPM'S to engage the centrifical clutch.
Am I correct that this is a carburator problem? I just want to ask the forum before I take it to a golf cart technician.
austin84ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
austin84ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 84 marathon carb problem

I forgot to add, that I thought it might not be getting enough gas, through the main fuel line, so I replaced the fuel filters on the main fuel line. The previous owner had two filters on the main line and I thought it was too redundant, so I eliminated one and replaced the other one with a new fuel filter. Still didn't solve the problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There should be 2 filters on it. One from one side of the fuel pump to the carb then from other side of fuel pump to the tank. Your problem sounds like a dirty carb. Heres a pic of what areas of the carb that really needs the cleaning.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
suffolklou
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I just got mine running. Thing I didn't notice before, in the bottom black circle, the screw that holds the bowl on has a brass screw inside it that has small orifices. Mine was clogged there. I had the carb apart 5 times before I realized that I needed to clean that too.

It made a world of difference.

Lou S.
suffolklou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
austin84ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks 1Fast67, the diagram is awsome. I good a taking things apart, but not so good at puting them back together. Is it a hard job? I haven't done any small engine repair since I was in 7th grade (a few decades ago). I'll do some more research before I decide to try this or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No its not hard to take the carb apart especially now that you have a diagram.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
CHEESEMAKER
Not Yet Wild

Marking this post for reference. Since I'm having similar issues.
CHEESEMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

I had this same problem. Dropped on a new carb had the same problem. It turns out that there was a bug in the fuel tank that was not big enough to get totally sucked into the fuel line. I blew air backwards from the fuel filter and it would be fine for the kids for two or three days. Till this bug would get sucked up again. Any how long story long got the but out and the cart runs like a champ.

Cheers Don.
DonoBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like maybe you were starting to get crystalization in the carb until it eventually got fully clogged...When you clean out the carb I would jet it also, open up the main jet just a hair bigger while your in there...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

two things, pull the line from the pump to the carb off at the pump, the fuel should shoot about 3-8 inches in the air. then check the brass fitting marked #9 on the diagram, thes like to strip and fall back in to the carb or just inside the housing, if it is a fuel problem, sorry i'm in the same boat, looking for a timing for a 1983..... if it is the fitting a 10 dollar (GREEN ONLY) thread locker will send it into high rpm's.
devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO