lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
NNFD197
Not Yet Wild

Default Need info on solenoid install

I just purchased a 1992 gas marathon and the solenoid in it was a 3 terminal 12v that is fried. I found out online that its the wrong solenoid(it's for lawn mowers apparently) so I purchased the correct 4 terminal solenoid but have no clue how to install it. I've looked at diagrams online but I am lost. This is my first time on here so please be gentle, thanks.
NNFD197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need info on solenoid install

One big post to battery, other big post to starter, one small post gets 12v when you step on the gas and the other small post is a ground, I think, been a long time since i worked on one of those, im sure others will come along and help also

One thing you have to remember, the solinoid has to have power to one of the small posts whenever you step on the gas pedal, they are built to work all the time, the ones you get at the lawnmower or auto store are only made for short time contact, like when cranking the engine. They will fail very quickly if used continuesly like on a golf cart, i found that out the hard way, :)

and welcome to BGW
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i believe all 4 post are 12v positive and are self grounding when bolted the bracket. you can still get three post but you have to go to somewhere that sells and install snowplows/ lift gates. thats where i got mine.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
NNFD197
Not Yet Wild

Ok so when I got ready to install the solenoid I realized that they gave me a 36v instead of a 12v. Since the golf cart shop was closed after I realized there mistake I thought well maybe the 36v is just beefier so it can definitely handle the 12v battery so I gave it a shot. Needless to say it didn't work and I wasn't sure if it was operator error or the fact that its a 36v and I need a 12v. Well this morning I went to the shop and told them that they gave me a 36v not a 12v for my "gas" ezgo marathon they said they gave a 36v solenoid for an "electric" cart(not sure if that matters). So I got my money back and ordered the right solenoid for my cart and it should be here Tuesday. Thanks for the help guys, ill be back after my install attempt to update.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I got to go with RSP, once mounted big post passenger side is to battery, driver side big post goes to starter. Small post passenger side is grounds and small post drivers side is 12v from pedal switch and the hot feeds to the ignitor, coil and electrical system. There's a wiring diagram in the sticky for the HEI conversion. I believe it's the 3 post solenoids that are self grounding.
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
NNFD197
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, you guys make it more clear with every post. Now if only that solenoid would get here already.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ummm? my three post solenoid is 12v positive on all posts. it charges at 14.5 volts.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
NNFD197
Not Yet Wild

Got her going!!! Thanks guys, now it's time to dress her up.

Tags
1992, ez-go gas golf cart, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO