lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
oldsfan442
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 EXGO Workhorse - Where to start?

As the title states, I have a 98 EZGO Workhorse. As seen in the pictures, it is missing a lot and not much to look at. The front bumper is bent bad but is not contacting the body. The rest of the body is fairly straight with a minor dent on the driver side under the Workhorse logo. The dump be is missing as is the motor. However, the cart was FREE. My neighbor gave it to me.

A few ideas I wanted to share

1- Bigblock. I would love an 18 hp twin cylinder Briggs or Kohler engine or maybe a honda clone.
2- Custom Bed. Was thinking of building some type of wood bed similar to an old pickup bed. May or may not use it as a dump bed.
3- Mild lift
4- Bigger wheels and tires
5- Paint
6- New seat
7- Add top
8- Radio and speakers
9- Custom bumper with winch

So my question is, where do I start? Am I getting in too far with a cart this far gone? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11017.jpg (147.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11016.jpg (132.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11019.jpg (154.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11020.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11022.jpg (106.9 KB, 0 views)
oldsfan442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1998 EXGO Workhorse - Where to start?

Well it is a long body so it is a 1000 or 1200 but you do need a motor and a rear clutch.. Where are you ??
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
oldsfan442
Not Yet Wild

I live in Northwest Indiana. I didn't really notice it was a long body. There is one concern I had about lifting this cart. There is a guy in town who did a long arm lift on his Workhorse and says that cart rides really rough. Do you think it's due to the longer wheel base or could it be the wrong spring rate?

I would really love some input on this cart. Please feel free to share your opinions. Don't hold back.

Bryan
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Free is a real good starting point with this cart
There's a lot of ways to get to where you want to go. I have a 97 that I intially did a drop axel lift with wheels and tires and ended up with long travel and big block.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...yard-cart.html

I know some of the pics are missing, good ole photobucket moved them. So, you can look at my albums on BGW,

Skipper_52 also did a rework on a workhorse that was kinda used up;

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...e-project.html

Kgsc has one that is electric in his avatar, Lost Husker has another one in process that is electric.

Blake80 has one he did with his brother;

Take a look around the site, search for the names I gave ya and decide how far and how much money you want to spend doing it.

Good luck
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wheel base is about a foot or so longer than an EZGO golf cart. The ride is hard because the shocks were made to carry a very load. If you want softer ride, simply replace the rear shock absorbers.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure about the shocks but it probably does have the 4 leaf rear springs and they are stiff.. As ess stated I have a sparky in my avatar that has the 4 inch drop axle lift and also have a gas version also with the same lift. One has a dipped camo body and the other has a dipped black carbon fiber body with the cage and yes, it has been rolled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camo1.jpg (325.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pink.jpg (328.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
oldsfan442
Not Yet Wild

kgsc, how do you like the ride of the gas version with the 4 inch lift? Would it be possible to remove a leaf from the stack to soften the ride?

Bryan
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
oldsfan442
Not Yet Wild

essness- Thank you very much for those builds. Been reading through them all day. You said you got the ST cowl off eBay. Was it a direct fit or did it need to be modified? I simply love the look of that cowl and being I want lights, I figured that would be the best route to go. Thanks again.

Bryan
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsfan442 View Post
kgsc, how do you like the ride of the gas version with the 4 inch lift? Would it be possible to remove a leaf from the stack to soften the ride?

Bryan

Bryan,

I removed a couple of the rear leafs on each side of my 1200 workhorse and it rides a lot better If you decide it is too much of a project just send it my way
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsfan442 View Post

Bryan
Man, to be honest, I can't remember what springs are in the back of that cart I think I replaced them with 3 leafs but who knows.. I did the lift in that one over a year ago and have touched so many others since then and drinking was involved..

It is not too hard to pull a leaf out so you can try that if you wish. Also make sure the springs can swing free. Most people over tighten the shackles and the springs won't move..

I saw your comment on the ST cowl and have that on a few of mine. The cowl will rivet to the same place a standard txt cowl will but you must get the fender flairs as well. I bout this kit when I did mine.. http://www.shopezgo.com/golf-cart/pr...roduct_id=4078
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO