lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezygo 1983 Marathon

I Have just aquired one of these carts. It is a 4 stroke engine Single Cylinder. I have been told that these model also came with twin cyl engines Is this so
Old Browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezygo 1983 Marathon

Welcome! If its' an 83' as your title says,Its' a 2-stroke.They didn't start 4-strokes until 90' or 91'.As far as I can remember,all Ez-Go 4-strokes are Twins.Is your engine mounted sideways(drive belt runs left-to-right)?That's how the 2-strokes were setup until 87'-88' model change.Post some pics and I.D. numbers if you can,they will help Id the cart.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Pachango Many thanks for the quick reply To clear the air,The serial Number on the side panel is297376 and Mfg Codeis H O 783. An email to EZYGOgot me a reply saying it is a Marathon1983 model It may well be that the engine has been changed but it is most definitely a 4 Stroke engine With a Gasoline tane with cork float type of measuring device. . I have it home here in the shed and it sitting on my trailer. so I will see if I can get some pics insid the engine bay for you.

I have not filled in My Profile part as yt. Iwill do so a bit later today so you will know better who you are talking to.
An email to EZYGO head office in Australia bought me a reply by phone from a man there called Liam and it was he who told me that the 1983 moel had Twin cylinder engines. Will write more later
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Panchago Furhter to my post of around 1 hour ago I have been out to have a better look at my Marathon After cleaning of some dirt around the petrol tank I see some writeng which says that it is a 2 cycle ange with a Automatic oil suplly.. Do not mix oil with petrol. On looking furthet I see an oil tank fixed to the front downboard and I now assume that this is where the 2 stroke oiol iss added to be conveyed no doubt to the carburettor for mixing in with petro. It has only 1 plug lead so must be a single cylinder 2 stroke after all/
I have seen this cart in action ariund out local golf course for over 12 yrs now and and have never seen the slightest hint of smoke from the 2 stroke mix being burnt. I have only just bought it from the old chap that owned it. He is now in a nursing home and will not play again. I took it off his hands and have put my usual cart,Yamaha G16, in the shed st the golf course in its place,and have now got the Marathon home.
For the last 12 yrs I have listened to this engin running and it has very solid metallic knock from the engine. Perhaps better described a a continuos CLATTER. .
It has amazed me that it has run so long with this noise . I suspect a loose ,very, big end or small end bush badly worn or even maybe a piece broken off the piston skirt causing the noise.
When the engine stops it gives out quite a hefty CLONk as if it is the piston tilting for the last time.
.I intend with the help of my son to dismantle the engine a find out the cause of this noise..
My old friend Frank who owned this cart tells me he has a manual for it back in his house so when he has an opportunity to go back to his house he will try and find itfor me. I just hope he can do that, He is 94 years and had been a really good golfer in his day.. I am only 86 yrs,in comparison/ just a boy as they say.
So I will clean up the cart a lttle and when the springtime and some warmer weather will set about finding the cause of the noise and fixing it up.

Better see about filling in my Profile and finding out from Frank about what type of oil he has been using for the Auto mixing device .
Frank tells me he has not greased the clutch sliding shaft since he has had the cartao it is a miracle that it works if it the same system as my Yamaha G16 which a give 1 shot every year Cheers to all Old Browny
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi all Its me again just reporting that I had a phone call from Frank tonight to tell me has now got the manual that was given to him when he bought the cart but is not sure if the manual is the correct one for the Marathon.
Cant qute see how to fill in my profile details and how to forwars pics but I will have look back here tomorrow and see what I an work out Cheers
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The engine is a 244cc. Robin/Fuji single-cylinder 2-stroke Model 2PG.Unless they have different models in different countries,I know Austrailia has a lot of "same but different" models of cars,motorcycles,etc...The "Clunk" may be inside of the Drive-Clutch(the one on the engine).They get worn,and awful noises are common.The first thing to do,is remove the oil-tank and pump assembly.They are well-known to fail,and engine damage is guaranteed.Unhook the hose from the oil-system to the manifold at the carburetor and plug it.Mix the oil with the gas at 100:1(1oz/gal.),I'm not sure of the metric-conversion.Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Pachanga 90 Thanks a heap for the reply. . I have got the manual from Frank this morning. It is a very comprehensive manual but unfortunately it covers the 1989 -1990 models . but having had a run thru the pages I can see there will be a lot of information that will apply I have taken some pics and will have to work out how to send some on to you. The belt drive is accross the chassis so what you tell me is all very enlightening.
I have jsut come in from the shed where I have been changing the jockey wheel on the tralier for a Walkie type wheel so I can push the trailer in and out of the shed on by myself.. Not so strong as I once was
Your comments on the drive shaft problems were very pleasing as it will save a lot of work taking the engine apart but I am still fairly sure the problem is indeed inside the engine.......Time will tell .
So far I have not been able to tell if the drive clutch has any provision for greasing as the Yamaha has and here again when I can get it out into the real sunlight in the yard I can have a good look ,plus time to read the manual etc.
Will send this off now and do battle with the pics and also with my profile many thanks once again Old Browny
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Old Browny
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Pachanga 90 I saw some options for sending attacments but could not find them again after I had submitted the message Maybe I can see them again with this quick reply Cheers OldBrowny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (261.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (152.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010007.jpg (148.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010009.jpg (131.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010013.jpg (193.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
PartTime
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome Browny to B.G.W., you diff. have the 244cc robin. You can find just about everything you need to know about ur cart here. Alot of us have the cart u have. So, searching thru some older threads u will prob. find the answers u seek. Diff. pay atten. to the stickys. Good luck and have fun.
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Definitely a 2PG 2-stroke,The clutches don't have lube-points.If you lift it and add larger tires,add a 3/16" shim under the spring in the Engine-Clutch,it makes a huge power difference.Look under EZGo Gas in the main page for this site,there are "Stickies" with manuals and parts books to view.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO