lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Famous58
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 94 Marathon Oil Leak/Vibration

I'm pretty new to this thread, but I've owned an 94 EZGO Marathon Gas for a few months now. It has had a few issues since I bought it, but I just havent had the time to mess with them too much yet. Im wanting to get started on fixing the issue, so I can get the mechanical issues taken care of so I can finish up the paint and cosmetics (easy stuff).

Anyway, I have two main issues that I need some help with if anyone has some suggestions or help. One being a pretty good motor oil leak, the other being a heavy vibration in the rear half of the cart.

Let's start with the oil leak. I have worked on this a little bit previously, but didnt get it completely taken care of. After buying the cart, knowing it had what the previous owner said was a tiny/slow oil leak, I found out that the only reason is was leaking slowly was because it had so much old oily mud packed around the motor and skid plate that it made the illusion of a small leak when in reality it was worse. The oil leaks mostly into the fan blades/cover, and onto the skid plate, and then onto the ground. It APPEARS to be coming directly from the bottom of the motor through a gasket which I would call a crank case cover gasket.
My questions are. How serious is this fix?
I thought I had the oil leak fixed when I found oil bubbling out of the oil pressure sensor (which was not hooked up) so i plugged the hole with a pipe plug and thread tape and thought I was good...not the case. It appears to still be leaking from the bottom of the case.
Question 2 - Im assuming this crank case gasket needs to be replaced, but what I have seen on some other threads, this gasket usually goes out because of a bad o-ring inside the cover that oil travels through. If I get a hold of these two parts....What all am I going to need to take care of this. Is it going to be just taking out some case bolts after shroud is off and I can get to these areas, or is the fan going to need pulled apart, or can i remove just fan blade and still get cover off. Has anyone been into this area of the motor to work on this issue, and can I do it with just some basic tools or should I have someone else try their luck on this?
Question 3 - I believe its a Robin 295cc motor, does anyone know the exact gaskets or parts I may need for this fix and where the best place to order from may be. I live in a rural area and dont have any cart shops anywhere nearby to go to. I have seen what I THINK I need on shopezgo.com, if anyone can help with this that would be great. Thanks

And then the vibration....

When I start accelerating in the cart, at a pretty normal rate that is, a very distinct vibration starts forming at the rear of the cart. It gets worse and worse the more speed I gain. Almost sounds like putting a playing card in a tire spoke on a bicycle but much lower tone and much more intense. If I slow down almost to a stop after the vibration has started it will eventually kind of make a thud or "clunk" and I can then start accelerating at a fairly slow rate and it will normally get up to speed without the intense vibration, sometimes the vibration comes right back and I have to slow down again, hear the clunk, and go again, I can drive it with the vibration going, but its just very loud and very unhealthy sounding. I am hoping this isnt a big ordeal. I have opened the plug on the rear end case and put quite a bit of gear oil in it thinking it was dry. It drank up a lot of the oil and I really didnt know how much it would hold or how much I should add to it or if that would even help. I really havent noticed whether it helped any or not. I dont know if this is a rear end, governor, or clutch issue or what, But it sounds like it gets worse or less, depending on the wheel speed, and maybe not so much the belt or motor speed, but I am NOT 100% on that theory. If anyone has any help on this that would be awesome, as I do not want to mess anything up worse.

Hopefully these are decently easy fixes I can knock out real quick, I just want to get these things fixed so I can get back on the road safely and not worry about a breakdown as I use the cart to drive around town, which is legal in our area.

Oh and also I have very soft brakes, I have tried some adjusting, had them apart and tried cleaning them up as much as I could, but they dont "lock up" like brakes normally would on a cart, they just slowly bring me to a stop (sometimes) lol and the hill brake sometimes isnt enough to hold it from rolling. I have also manually rotated the catch gear inside the brake drum to hold the shoes tighter on the drums once already and it helped Do I need to do this again until I have them tight enough, is that the correct procedure? I thought they should adjust on their own...Or do I likely need some new shoes in the drums?....

Sorry for the lengthy thread and wordy explanations but I just wanted to try to cover everything all in one post and get it all across to save time and confusion later. Any help is very much appreciated on any of these issues, as I can do mechanical work as long as specialty tools wont be needed, or advanced mechanical skills arent necessary I should be able to handle it.

Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to some responses
Famous58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Famous58
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 Marathon Oil Leak/Vibration

any help on these issues please?...thanks guys im just anxious to get the thing going again...
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Famous58
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Bump...please anyone? These have to be somewhat common issues as I've seen others have posts about these all over the net, just need some assistance if anyone has some info thanks guys

Tags
1994, ezgo, marathon, oil leak, vibration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO