lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need help adjusting shift cables

I just bought two new shift cables because my old one decided to die. I'm not sure why, but I have am having the hardest time getting these new ones to adjust correctly. I sear he'd but didn't find anything. I did hear that the spring should be at a height of 1 3/8" in neutral. But also heard to have 3/8" of thread showing on from the locknut up. No matter what I do, I cannot adjust the spring length. Also what is typical for how to set them with the jamnuts on the plates?

Sorry if this is dumb - it's just one of those days / weeks lol

Thanks!
Jpunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help adjusting shift cables

I got them to "work" but I don't think there correct. It also now seems impossible to find neutral
Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nobody has any advice?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I installed a big block kit on my workhorse from CPP, and installed new shifter cables at the same time. I thought I would never get the cables adjusted correctly. Don't sweat over trying to set everything to the measurements you find on spec sheets. I tried doing that and it never worked. You will have to set the cables to a very loose setting and keeping tightening them a little at a time until you get the shifter set the way you like it.

This process will take numerous attempts to get the shifter set how you like. Every time you think it shifts smoothly you will get a hang up in forward or reverse. I tinkered with my cable adjustments too many times to count until I finally found the sweet spot. The new cable might stretch a little over time also which can prolong the setting process. A lot of this will depend on how much you use your cart. Always make sure you are completely stopped before shifting your gears or you will never figure out where the best setting is.

I hope this helps. I'm no expert, but I did manage to get my cables set. It will take time, so be patient.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, thank you very much. It is a little frustrating lol. For the jam nuts on plates front and back, is there anything special for those?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I was trying again all night tonight. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I get everything hooked up but neutral will be half to one side not in the middle and to get it there it seems like I do not have enough cable length or threads.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO