lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
Lost In Florida
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Villager 6 modified to idle; Starter-Gen not recharging battery at idle?

Okay, supplied a picture taken.. I'm not sure exactly when. Quite recently; nothing has changed since then, except that I cut the electrical tape from the microswitch and replaced it with a small zip-tie.
What can you tell me about this piece-o-crap? xD

Checked the solenoid, and I do have ground on one, and 12v on the other.
So this indicates proper operation..? Or what should be, anyway.

I'm located in St. Petersburg/Clearwater area.
Wish you were a bit closer; I'd invite you on over! lol

Last edited by Lost In Florida; 12-17-2014 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: To add picture.
Lost In Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Villager 6 modified to idle; Starter-Gen not recharging battery at idle?

woof. that things been effed over a few different ways. im going to guess thats where your problem is. id suggest getting that mess cleaned up and returned to stock, at least close to stock(pedal start but idling). i'll take a better look at it later and try to see what was done. not sure whats up with that extra relay. also the micro-switches are taped closed. weird.

can you cut the tape off the wiring from the side of the solenoid to the relay and grab a pic?
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
Lost In Florida
Not Yet Wild

Oh yay.
What's 'stock' for this, exactly? Is there a diagram somewhere..? In the maintenance manual?

Will get back to you shortly with the pic you're requesting.

Edit: Getting caught up doing a suspension job on the cart, but I'll get around to the wires.
The extra relay is for our lights.
Did have a question, though.. You want me to cut the tape on the wire bundle running to that relay, right? Along the entire length or just at the end, where it's connected to the solenoid?
What are we looking for by doing this, exactly?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see you have plenty of options here but can't resist adding that on several older cars and my ironhead sportster using an alternator makes all the difference in the world .I used the gm delco one with a one wire hook up.On my sportster a specialty unit.But that mini denso really would be the cats meow.I think it would serve in the long run to take the time to add an alternator.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
jay nesbitt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Use a Gm internally regulated 10si alt from late 70s/80s Gm try 83 caprice . These had a normal max output of 63amps, and can be wired "one wire". Goggle and learn.
Iv'e putthese on old tractors or cars (8n/9n fords) and they are common and cheap. don't expect a generator to perform like an alternator.
Jay
jay nesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #26
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

he is running a stock motor so he needs the starter/gen to start the motor still.

i was curious what was up with those wires to see what they were controlling. if they are for the lights then that should be OK, dont worry about cutting it off then.

normally you would get 12v to that starter solenoid by turning your key to the on position. then when you press the gas pedal, one of those microswitches would supply ground to that solenoid and you would then have the starter working. once the motor is started the generator starts kicking power back to the battery. the prob with moving it to a key start is you can be starting the motor then once you let off the key, the solenoid opens back up and the generator isnt outputting.

your key start now, i assume is a normal 1 click over for ignition, then momentary start?
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Lost In Florida
Not Yet Wild

Your question was a bit ambiguous to me..
It is one click from Off to On, then requires Start to be held for a moment, yes, if that's what you're asking. Then it returns to On.

I'm interested in that solenoid now, though.
And.. "one of those microswitches". There's two?!
Oh lord.. Where's the other one?
Which one do we have taped/tied shut?

Thank you for the alternator suggestions, raydhd and jay nesbitt!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Look... I don't know why your cart still isn't charging at an idle, (something tells me it has something to do with that micro switch!)
but, I'll say this one more time... Villager 6's came from the factory as key start carts!
your electrical components box shows a factory relay mounting, and there is ONLY ONE micro-switch on key start carts!
(you just "might" want to double check the wiring on the micro and relay!)

Here's the wiring diagram out of my 07 M/S manual... hopefully it helps you resolve your problems!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Just to be clear I would keep the s/g for starting and use the alternator for charging just like a car.That is why I thought the denso was so ideal because of it's small size.Some of the earlier shovel head and pan head harley boys use this unit in place of their generator voltage regulator for plenty of juice at idle and low rpms.With the small battery needed to fit in my ironhead chopper the, generator did not recharge it enough on short hops at lower rpms fort reliable starting.After the addition of the alternator even with a high torque starter this became a non issue.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #30
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

BEFORE... we get into adding an alternator... let's get back to the basics!

Questions... (after scouring the wiring diagram)
WHY is that micro switch taped/zip tied?

1) Was it like that when you got it?
2) Is the Operate/Maintenance switch in Operate?
3) Does it run the same way if the O/M switch is in maintenance?
4) Does it run in forward and reverse (and not neutral) without the tape/zip tie?

Why do I have this goofy feeling?....
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, club car, idling, starter generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car