lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Signs of a bad starter?

Searching on an iPad is awful, but I did try. Sorry if there's a million of these post already.
When I press the accelerator, there's an loud whining, electrical, binding? Noise. Or sometimes nothing.
I pulled it in the shop yesterday to thaw out, figuring it was the stop switch. Removed and cleaned switch (wishful thinking) WD40'd it hoping to remove any moisture and dielectric greased it, plus some heat and dry air on it all day and night.
Put the battery on the charger for a complete charge, tested fine.

It's probably time to replace the stop switch (30 yrs?) still have the moments of nothing. But the other loud whining/buzzing noise is still there sometimes, is this normal of stuck brushes? Or should I start looking into the solenoids? Which I did remove and cleaned all contacts also.

Thanks, although a little hard work is appreciated, hauling sled fulls of firewood isn't fun day in and out.
mwar410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Signs of a bad starter?

Did you inspect the brushes yet? You can pop some of the rubber caps from the starter while its on the cart. Tbe carbon brushes should protrude above the holder that the brush rides in. If they are real close (like 1/16"), consider it getting close to time. Checking any two adjacent brushes gives you a decent idea what the other two will look like.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Top one is about 1/2", had them done a few years ago when they rebuilt the starter
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sorry didn't realize I haven't filled in my signature.

It's a G1
Old 02-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

even if you have enough brush left, they still might be stuck, not sure but i think if one is not touching it wont turn;; anyway,, with the key on , take a hammer and lightly tap on the starter, if it jumps then thats the problem,, ma bey a squirt of wd, through the caps will work.. very little'just in the channel that holds the brush.
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, didn't even think of whacking it with a hammer, Always do it to my plow truck! I'll try it tomorrow, it's been pretty wet before the cold so I'd be surprised if theres not corrosion there.
5' snow drifts this morning, not a bit of snow on the cart. Opened the engine and it was completely packed with snow, I was just amazed how much was in there. Anyway kids tried to run it, and belts were smoking and throwing chunks, so I'll yank it out and clean/inspect inside.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the belt drive system on carts,cant get wet, its already a slip system, most of the atv are fully inclosed , with plastic,, but golf carts were never intended to use in the winter;;;; if you want to run it all year, think about a atv;;
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ended up putting that plastic lawn edger on a few spots as spray shields. Covered the stop switch,extended mud flaps on front of frame across the cart, and extended rear wheel liners. Engine compartment seems much cleaner and dryer.
I don't think a ATV is an option ( especially on BGW ) image.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha