lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G-9 no spark

hi i have a g9 cart that has no fire now. it would go about ten feet before and then stop. after it sit a bit it would go another ten feet. now wont kick at all. does this sound like coil. or other issues. any suggestions would be a great help.
bogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G-9 no spark

First these carts are known for wiring issues, so check all fuses/plugs/connectors. Especially the plug on the ignitor. I would guess ignitor but they don't go out often and are expensive, so best to check other things first. Put a new spark plug in to start, make sure its not a fuel issue, etc. It is best to swap the ignitor and see what you have, if you know someone with a G9. Could be the coil but they don't go out often either, but electrical parts are usually the ones that go out when they warm up. So I'd still check other things first, try to swap an ignitor to test it, do the tune up stuff, check wires, before you buy any ignition parts. Even if your fuel lines or pump is bad can cause this, try filling up the tank it will gravity feed that way and usually run....if its a fuel issue and the carb is clean. OF course the choke will often make it run more if a fuel issue.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

its strange the way it worked i had to push it on the trailer at the camp. and then when i got home it started and almost made it into the garage and now no fire to the plug. iam going to check the ground wires next, thanks again . this one has me stumped.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
dzig_33
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When my ignitor was going bad, I had exactly the same symptoms. Sometimes I could kick the panel where the ignitor is mounted and then it would fire and start. I'm with sho on this, find an ignitor off someone's cart and give it a try before buying new.
dzig_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

I have a good used ignitor for $50 and free shipping in the US.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

thanks for the info. just wondering if i can test the ignitor . coil and pickup with a meter. its hard to find used parts in my area. thanks again
Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Factory manual for testing ignitor is "replace with known good unit". The other ignition parts have test procedures. The manual can be found on this site.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have two of them here, but one might be on its last leg the engine would run funny sometimes and get hot. I might try putting one on my clone at some point.

But yeah, like most people have one laying around to test with or friends with the same cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

thanks all. but i found the problem. turned out to be the stop start switch, engine would turn over but no spark. unplugged pedal switch and crossed it over with a jumper and had spark. again i big thank you to all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha