lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22 Sluggish on top end

It's stock everything except comet clutch that has been working fine. Gov has been completely bypassed with the throttle cable directly to the carb. Long story short the top end is very sluggish. Feels like the engine is being held back and not revving. I changed all the fuel lines and pulse to the pump along with the fuel filter. I cleaned the carb and it looked ok. Air filter looked ok as did the spark plug. Plastic carb spacer was also ok. Both clutches look like they are working in neutral. Not sure what else it can be. Any ideas?
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Sluggish on top end

Maybe a hanging brake shoe or cable?
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cart rolls fine. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
It's stock everything except comet clutch that has been working fine. Gov has been completely bypassed with the throttle cable directly to the carb. Long story short the top end is very sluggish. Feels like the engine is being held back and not revving. I changed all the fuel lines and pulse to the pump along with the fuel filter. I cleaned the carb and it looked ok. Air filter looked ok as did the spark plug. Plastic carb spacer was also ok. Both clutches look like they are working in neutral. Not sure what else it can be. Any ideas?
If everything is ok with the engine, it's possible that your clutches are shifting too soon into high "gear" and it's loading your engine down too much. Might be time to look into stiffer "power springs" for the secondary clutch that will hold on to lower gear longer and allow the engine to rev higher.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Took the seat off and drove it some. Seems like the engine is reving ok just not going into high gear. Not sure exactly what secondary is supposed to do. The primary seems to be shifting smoothly with the drive belt all the way up top at full speed. Seems like the secondary should be able to close up some more. In neutral when it revs the secondary opens all the way up at full throttle. One more thing I have noticed is that there is a noticeable vibration in the throttle pedal at full speed. The engine mounts do not seem to be broken and the engine does not move much when it revs.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

You didn't mention the drive belt. If it's worn it will affect things...

Throttle opening all the way?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Throttle is opening all the way and the belt is almost brand new.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Rear sliding sheave of clutch may be badly worn.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It's funny cause one day it drove fine. It sat for about 3 days then it starts acting up. I am pretty sure the engine is tired but it's not smoking. Cart will usually top out at 30 mph. Now I don't think it's even breaking 20 mph.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
It's funny cause one day it drove fine. It sat for about 3 days then it starts acting up. I am pretty sure the engine is tired but it's not smoking. Cart will usually top out at 30 mph. Now I don't think it's even breaking 20 mph.

Were the 3 days that it sat especially damp or humid? Might be time for a shot of grease in the secondary......
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha