lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Liar
Not Yet Wild

Default KF82 still won't start internal timing issue?

I made a new post because I'm off in a different direction now. 1988 Club Car DS Fz340. Ran fine but will not start now. Has spark, has fuel. No compression. About down to 30 now. It was 60.

When it ran it did not smoke or use oil. I put oil in the cylinder and checked compression again the oil not improve the compression. It is pulsing pressure out of the valve cover hose going to the air cleaner. Took off the valve cover side plate and both valves were moving up and down fine.

When it first starts to turn over it has a touch of a sputter but just barley. And only when it first starts to turn.

So.... I think that it has gotten out of time internally. What can cause that? That is why there is no compression because the vales are opening on the compression stroke. when the valve cover was open pressure was pulsing out of that area when the engine was turning over.

Any thoughts on a solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Liar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Liar
Not Yet Wild

Default re: KF82 still won't start internal timing issue?

No one knows about these engines? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: KF82 still won't start internal timing issue?

Title modified for responses, and courtesy bump.
Springbok is the forum master on FZ340/KF82's, he's been busy, so give him a few days!

I don't know much about them, but I've read that they have a nylon timing gear held to the camshaft with rivets,
sometimes the rivets loosen up or break, and causes a "no run" scenario, but I've never heard of it "jumping" time!

*EDIT*
It looks like you found the problem! >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-symptoms.html
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Did you figure it out?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
I don't know much about them, but I've read that they have a nylon timing gear held to the camshaft with rivets,
sometimes the rivets loosen up or break, and causes a "no run" scenario, but I've never heard of it "jumping" time!
Yes this is true. I just picked up a spare KF82 motor for $50 that had this very problem. Cam gear rivets came loose and cam gear was just spinning loosely on the camshaft. I put one of my spare camshafts in it and it should be good to go now. The motor was not knocking when it quit running so I should have a nice spare motor now.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Liar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Lockman and Springbok. I'll watch that gear closely. I think I've found the problem here this time. Pulling the valves tomorrow and should have it back running by the weekend. Thanks you guys for all your help!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
Thanks Lockman and Springbok. I'll watch that gear closely.
Even if the gear comes loose, the gear itself usually doesn't get damaged. In most cases you can re-fasten it to the camshaft by just replacing the rivet assembly with bolts, just be sure to use nylock nuts and that they're not too long. The one in the motor I mentioned earlier wasn't damaged and can be re-attached, but I already had a spare cam/gear in my parts bin.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thread with good photos of the timing marks:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166885
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car