lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Question Calling All G1 Experts

Ok, just acquired another G1. My original ’81 G1 (S/N: J10-039602) has been a little work, but is running fine now. This one was on CL, as a “non-running” G1. Guy wanted a little too much, but after looking it over, I got it for $300. It looked like a good “parts cart” for all of the parts that are no longer made. I figure at least $1000 in useable parts.

It’s a sort of “in between” when checking the S/N. It’s a J31-158594. Looks to be after ‘86, but not quite ’89, according to most sites with serial numbers. If anybody has a better guess (’87? or ’88?) please let me know. Here’s the numbers I copied from somewhere:

Beginning Serial Number.................. Model Name ............ Model Year
J31-159082 ........................ G1AMD .................. 1989
J31-140101 ........................ G1-AM ................... 1986

With the battery charged, engine turns over fine (not seized) but won’t start. After reading several threads and doing some checking, it appears to be “spark” related. I’ll get further into my troubleshooting with questions later, but this initial post is about a few differences between the two years.

Photos below are: (top of each is ’86?, bottom is ’81)
(1) What’s this plastic device mounted to the carb to engine intake on the newer engine?
(2) What’s this additional box (CDI?, Relay?, ???) that doesn’t exist on my ’81 model?
(3) The oiling reservoir is obviously missing, so I’ll probably be mixing, unless somebody has a reservoir available for purchase.
(4) Muffler appeared to be in good shape, but the connection to engine exhaust port is rusted through. Surely this has happened to others. Should it be brazed, or replaced? The material is cast iron. I thought about regular tail pipe, but it may need to be cast just like any exhaust manifold.
(5) The opened body is held by one hinged arm, as opposed to two on the older model. Not a problem … just an unusual difference.

Can anybody help me out with year, or 1, 2, 3, or 4?

Thanks BGW experts,
Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine changes.jpg (160.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Electric changes.jpg (143.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Missing Oil Tank.jpg (150.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Muffler damage.jpg (112.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Body Support.jpg (132.9 KB, 0 views)
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Calling All G1 Experts

My G1 is an 84, but it also shares parts from earlier and later models. The reason, supposedly, is that these carts were so commonly "frankensteined" together at golf courses. When a cart was retired, it was kept for parts. When another cart needed repairs they often raided parts from the non running ones. As a result, some 1984 models had 1988 engines or 1981 mufflers etc etc.

The little bottle above the carb is called a boost chamber or boost bottle. The 2 cycle engines sometimes have them, something to do with the air charge from the intake in relation to the 2 stroke design. Not an expert by any means. But it's supposed to connect to the top of the rubber intake boot via a rubber pipe/hose. If it's not hooked up, the cart will suck air in from the rubber hose and it will not run correctly. Either hook it back up, or block it off.

The little extra ignition box? No idea. See if you have any part numbers on it. We can try to look at a parts breakdown and determine what it is.

Oil tank? Uh, I would just premix the fuel at say 100:1 and leave it at that. Someone probably eliminated it years ago. Most people will do this. The biggest problem with premixing is that people use way too much oil. They will use 50:1 or worse yet 32:1 like their weed wackers and chainsaws use....NOT GOOD. Not only will it not run well, but it will smoke and oil will build up in the muffler. The manual says the factory oiler mixes at bettween 150:1 and 300:1 depending upon rpm/ cylinder pressure.

With that serial number, your cart was after 1986 and before 1989....no specific year because they were all the same in that range. So the "year" is not that important for parts because it will be the latest model style, and they will all be the same from 1987-1989.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, Slo.

One of the first things I did was to take the gas tank off and empty it. I pre-mixed a gallon @100:1 from one of your previous posts somewhere. After trying to crank it, I did get fuel flow through the carb.

I will hook up the "boost bottle" before I try to run it again. Since it was connected to another hose running down toward the fuel pump (I didn't trace it yet ... tooo filthy), I wasn't sure if I should run solvent through, blow air through it, or how to make sure it's clean. Probably doesn't matter. Just thought I'd clean it.

I'll see if I can find a number on the little "relay(?)". It could be the reason for no spark. Rather than unwrap the wire bundles, I thought I might try to trace the four wires via continuity checks, so that may give me a clue.

I appreciate your input.
Ogre
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, the "relay?", as shown in the three pics below (had trouble getting the lighting right)is labeled with:
J27-01
OMRON
2528D6
It has four wire connector. Two white larger gauge, maybe 16, and one black, and one white/red, maybe 12-14 gauge. No lettering/labels on any of the other four sides.

Any ideas guys?

Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0970.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0971.jpg (100.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0977.jpg (87.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Check out post #7 in this thread.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-solenoid.html
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Marathon. I missed that thread.

Sounds like that "delay relay" has nothing to do with my suspected "spark" problem.

After I get it cleaned up, and the muffler fixed, I'll try to start it again. I do know that when I press the accelerator, the engine turns over via the starter in Fwd or Rev (and rotates the correct direction). I am also sure of the fuel flow.

So according to the "fire triangle" I learned long ago. I've got fuel and air, but no fire.

The muffler fix seems to me to be the next step.

Ogre
Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Did you pull the plug and see if it is sparking?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Did you pull the plug and see if it is sparking?
I didn't really get that far yet. I tried holding the plug wire close to the frame to see if I got anything, but didn't get an arc.

I pulled the plug and it was plenty wet with fuel.

I tried a compression check, and got almost nothing, so I poured about half a tspoon of oil in the cylinder, and started the rotation and immediately pressed the accel (WOT) and got 155 PSI. I feel like I'm getting good compression, but I won't rule that out just yet.

It doesn't seem logical to me that if the muffler is allowing exhaust straight out that would have anything to do with a "no start" condition. But I'm not a single cyl, two stroke expert either. I just know that the mixture spewing out the cylinder was probably explosive, so I didn't try it very long.

I'll get back on the start problem as soon as I can decide how to fix the muffler.

Thanks for the input though
Ogre
Old 11-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #9
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did I say how great this forum, and you guys, are?

I've read a lot of posts by Slo and Marathon, and your knowledge and skills are WAAAY beyond mine.

I really appreciate all of the help.

Ogre
Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTX View Post
Did I say how great this forum, and you guys, are? :
Sounds like someone who should be signing up for the 2015 Gift Exchange
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha